Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fiber art: A new alternative to paint?

1. Aug 18, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This human interest story caught my attention. Could this be a new art form?

[​IMG]

http://www.lubbesmeyerstudio.com/

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2005 #2

Tsu

Gold Member

That's COOL!!!

4. Aug 19, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Neat! At first I thought it was just quilting, but then as I read, I realized they do it a bit differently than quilting is done.

5. Aug 19, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sort of like extreme quilting? :biggrin:

6. Aug 19, 2005 #5
    not for my home... not especially new idea... but being sisters and using this style of marketing may make this collectible ... but i don't buy things for this reason... so i'm still not interested.

7. Aug 19, 2005 #6
    Things that fall under the heading of Fiber Art have been around since man discovered the use of fibrous things.

Fiberarts Magazine
    Address:http://www.fiberartsmagazine.com/

What these two women are doing may or may not be a specific technique unique to them, I can't really tell. You do find similar things on the extreme edges of quilting, where people are exploring it as an art form to be hung on the wall, rather than as working bedcovers.

What people are doing with quilts has become really spectacular over he past 30 years or so, and there is a very strong "quilts as art" movement that has produced some stuff I find mind-bogglingly elaborate and super-rich for being quilts.

Embroidery entered quilting in the 1880's, I believe, with the sudden popularity of the Crazy Quilt, whose irregular shaped patches are always bordered with elaborate embroidery stitches. Alot of quilt artists take the use of embroidery thread from that tradition, and go wild with it.

8. Aug 19, 2005 #7

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Beautiful works here...I am an avid quilter myself, and it is a very "mathematical" art because of the symmetry of the pieces. But this takes art would see so abstract yet exact to have to create these.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?