Exploring Science and Technology Through Sci-Fi Space Art

MasterOgon
Hi everyone! I love science, am constantly interested in news in various fields, and have even done my own amateur research in physics and psychology, but I am an artist. And that’s why I most like to popularize scientific and technological progress, as well as highlight related issues through my art, and I would like to share some of them here. This is oil and acrylic painting.
IMG_20230206_090610019~2.jpg

IMG_20230109_142658469.jpg

IMG_20230424_172215049~2.jpg

--13083--4-720x462.jpg

IMG_20220429_162915_097-720x522.jpg

DSCN7740--1.jpg

-81101--1-581x720.jpg

• Love
  • Wow
Likes Haborix, Frabjous, difalcojr and 4 others
Science news on Phys.org
MasterOgon said:
Hi everyone! I love science, am constantly interested in news in various fields, and have even done my own amateur research in physics and psychology, but I am an artist. And that’s why I most like to popularize scientific and technological progress, as well as highlight related issues through my art, and I would like to share some of them here. This is oil and acrylic painting.

That's interesting and beautiful.

Are there fields you favor? Most laymen and even undergraduate physics students mention quantum theory, relativity theory, or cosmology. Although our technological progress has sped up exponentially within the last sixty years or so, scientific progress is still measured in centuries. It is a good time to be interested in physics. The last revolutionary steps date back about a century, so a new era is on the horizon and the questions are on the table. The answers, however, take their time. Look at the Nobel prizes in physics. They often lag by an entire decade.

Popular science is not very popular at PF. We want to support students and follow mainstream science as it is taught at universities. Physics as it is displayed in popular magazines has to make too many simplifications to be understood by a wider audience and often uses comparisons that are not suited, but this is a discussion of its own. Anyway,

:welcome:

have fun and stay curious!

Likes MasterOgon
Thank you!

Yes, I am interested in cosmology, and also what is connected with space flight. In particular, aerodynamics and hydrodynamics were the subject of my research. But I could add to this other areas such as astronomy, climatology, nuclear physics, the science of consciousness, ... I am especially interested in what is discovered at the intersections of different sciences. Sometimes they don't fit together very well, but reconciling them leads to interesting conclusions. I'm not an expert in any of them, but I'm familiar with a lot of them and I like that in art I can think about it more freely. I agree that popular science content is more introductory in nature, and if I am interested in a question, I try to find academic articles on this topic.

Likes pinball1970, BillTre and fresh_42
These are lovely. The art style reminds me of space race-era Russian postage stamps.

Likes MasterOgon
Thank you, I remember these stamps, I had them as a child because i lived in USSR. I love this old sci fi art style because back then people were inspired and dreamed. I hope this will happen again soon with renewed vigor.

I'll add more here
IMG_20231129_121543234-01-01.jpeg

IMG_20231109_134116680~3-01-01-01-01.jpeg

IMG_20230926_140322960-01-01.jpeg

IMG_20230725_145011109-01.jpeg

IMG_20231202_143730601-01.jpeg

• Love
  • Wow
Likes Frabjous, Haborix, difalcojr and 4 others
MasterOgon said:
Thank you, I remember these stamps, I had them as a child because i lived in USSR. I love this old sci fi art style because back then people were inspired and dreamed. I hope this will happen again soon with renewed vigor.
I think your art is fantastic! Not sure if you market it. It would make fine poster art too. Kids love posters to put on their walls. These are perfect. They would soon be thinking and dreaming of futuristic ideas and space.
I especially like the spaceship flying low over the surface of that molten planet. Wild. Thks for posting these. I'll buy a poster if ever available.

Likes MasterOgon

What is Sci-Fi Space Art?

Sci-Fi Space Art is a genre of artistic expression that combines elements of science fiction with visual art to depict futuristic or imaginative concepts related to space exploration, extraterrestrial environments, and advanced technologies. It often serves as a visual medium to explore and represent ideas that have not yet been realized by science or technology.

How does Sci-Fi Space Art contribute to science and technology?

Sci-Fi Space Art can inspire scientists and engineers by providing a visual representation of future possibilities in space exploration and technology. It can stimulate imagination, provoke curiosity, and encourage innovation by presenting visionary ideas and hypothetical scenarios. This artistic genre often anticipates or inspires technological advancements and scientific initiatives.

Can Sci-Fi Space Art influence real scientific research?

Yes, Sci-Fi Space Art has the potential to influence scientific research by expanding the realm of what is considered possible or desirable. For example, depictions of advanced spacecraft, space colonies, or alien ecosystems can inspire researchers to explore new areas of study or to develop technologies that could make these visions a reality. It also helps in communicating complex scientific ideas to the public, thereby fostering a broader understanding and support for scientific endeavors.

What are some notable examples of Sci-Fi Space Art influencing technology?

Notable examples include the influence of 1950s and 1960s sci-fi art on the design and conceptualization of space travel and habitats, which mirrored and inspired aspects of the space race era technologies. Similarly, modern concepts like the SpaceX Starship or NASA's Artemis program draw aesthetic and functional inspiration from sci-fi art and literature, showcasing a blend of artistic vision and practical design.

How can someone get started with creating Sci-Fi Space Art?

To start creating Sci-Fi Space Art, one should begin by studying both classic and contemporary examples of the genre to understand its themes and styles. Learning basic artistic skills, particularly in digital art tools like Photoshop or 3D modeling software like Blender, is essential. Additionally, a good understanding of scientific principles and current technological trends can provide a realistic foundation to the imaginative aspects of the art. Engaging with the sci-fi art community through online platforms and forums can also provide valuable insights and feedback.