Add & Subtract Fibonacci Numbers: Explained

• Thread starter Bellarosa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, Fibonacci numbers are a sequence of numbers discovered by Leonardo Fibonacci in the 13th century where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers. They have many applications in mathematics, science, and nature, and can be added and subtracted by following the pattern of the sequence. While there is no limit to how large they can get, practical calculations are usually limited to a certain number of digits due to computer limitations.
Bellarosa
1. Can somebody please explain to me how you add Fibonacci numbers using the indices?

2. For example: f(2n+3) + f(2n)
I am actually trying to subtract f(2n) - f(2n+1) - 1
I really have difficulty understanding Fibonacci numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
just a correction ...I am trying to subtract f(2n) -( [f(2n+1)] - 1)

1. What are Fibonacci numbers?

Fibonacci numbers are a sequence of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting with 0 and 1. The sequence goes like this: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, etc. These numbers were first discovered by Leonardo Fibonacci in the 13th century and have many applications in mathematics and science.

2. How do you add Fibonacci numbers?

To add two Fibonacci numbers, you simply add the two preceding numbers in the sequence. For example, to add 8 and 13, you would add 8+13=21. This follows the pattern of the Fibonacci sequence, where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers.

3. How do you subtract Fibonacci numbers?

To subtract two Fibonacci numbers, you start with the larger number and subtract the smaller number from it. For example, to subtract 13 from 21, you would do 21-13=8. This also follows the pattern of the Fibonacci sequence, where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers.

4. Why are Fibonacci numbers important?

Fibonacci numbers have many applications in mathematics, science, and even nature. They can be used to model growth patterns, such as in the growth of some plants and animals. They also have applications in number theory, geometry, and even music.

5. Is there a limit to how large Fibonacci numbers can get?

Technically, there is no limit to how large Fibonacci numbers can get. However, as the numbers get larger, it becomes more difficult to calculate them accurately due to the limitations of computer storage and processing power. In practical applications, Fibonacci numbers are usually only calculated to a certain number of digits.