Solving Nonconsecutive Fibonacci Challenges

• Thread starter zhx_haq
  • Start date
In summary: Fibonacci numbers.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum of distinct, nonconsecutive Fibonacci numbers to express given natural numbers. Different approaches and formulas are suggested, with the use of a greedy algorithm being the most efficient. There is also mention of finding an explicit formula for the number of ways to sum using Fibonacci numbers.
zhx_haq
i need help with finding out how to solve the following:

Express the following natural numbers as a sum of distinct, nonconsecutive Fibonacci numbers: 52, 143, 13, 88.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
zhx_haq said:
i need help with finding out how to solve the following:

Express the following natural numbers as a sum of distinct, nonconsecutive Fibonacci numbers: 52, 143, 13, 88.

i'd write out a little of the sequence obviously.

1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144

so if we pick 34...we have a leftover of 18. 18 can be made by adding 5 and 13.

13 is easy...just 5 and 8...

143...we can't use 144 so we pick randomly 89 for being largest.
143-89=54... so we form a 54 out of 34, 13, 5 and 2.
so 143 = 89+34+13+5+2
And 88 is just 88=55+21+8+3+1

but that's not mathematics that's actually doing it. So I don't know if it's useful.

Had the fibonacci sequence been a series of super increasing numbers (the next number in the list is greater than the sum of all numbers behind it) than this question would have made more sense as all you do is subtract the target number by the largest number in the series which is less than the target number... But appearantly you have to do it by brute force...

I'd use a greedy algorithm. Take the largest number that fits, and continue down the line, backing up when needed. For 143:
89 <= 143 < 144, so choose 89. 143 - 89 = 54.
Since you chose 89 the next one must be at most 34 (skipping 55), so choose that. 54 - 34 = 20.
Likewise, you must choose at most 13 (skipping 21), so choose that. 20 - 13 = 7.
You must choose at most 5 (skipping 8), so choose that. 7 - 5 = 2.
Since 2 is a Fibonacci number not next to 5, choosing that solves this problem.

I did some programming with a similar problem recently (calculating a b-file for Sloane's http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A013583 ). It's actually not a hard problem; I was able to find all the ways to make Fibonacci numbers sum to each integer < 100,000 in something like 2 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
My math teacher said that if you can put the sum in the form of an equation that doesn't take the previews term to find the next...like a function...you'd get rich and you'd never have to work again. So good luck!

Robokapp said:
My math teacher said that if you can put the sum in the form of an equation that doesn't take the previews term to find the next...like a function...you'd get rich and you'd never have to work again. So good luck!

Which sum, the Fibonacci numbers? That's not hard.

[tex]F_n=\frac{(1+\sqrt5)^n-(1-\sqrt5)^n}{2^n\sqrt5}[/tex]

Finding an explicit formula for the number of ways to sum to a particular number using Fibonacci numbers is harder, but Sloane's list has this:
[tex]\frac1n\sum^n_{k=1}\left(a(n-k)\sum_{f\mid k} (-1)^{k/f+1}\cdot f\right)[/tex]

Last edited:

FAQ: Solving Nonconsecutive Fibonacci Challenges

1. What is the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is a series of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding ones, starting from 0 and 1. So, the sequence would be 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, and so on.

2. What are nonconsecutive Fibonacci challenges?

Nonconsecutive Fibonacci challenges involve finding the sum of nonconsecutive numbers within the Fibonacci sequence. For example, finding the sum of every other number in the sequence or the sum of numbers that are not adjacent to each other.

3. How do you solve nonconsecutive Fibonacci challenges?

To solve nonconsecutive Fibonacci challenges, you can use mathematical formulas or algorithms to find the sum of the desired numbers. Alternatively, you can also use a loop or recursion to iterate through the sequence and add the nonconsecutive numbers.

4. What are the applications of solving nonconsecutive Fibonacci challenges?

Solving nonconsecutive Fibonacci challenges can be used in various fields, such as mathematics, computer science, and finance. It can be used to analyze patterns, create efficient algorithms, and even predict stock market trends.

5. Why are nonconsecutive Fibonacci challenges important?

Nonconsecutive Fibonacci challenges not only help to improve problem-solving skills and analytical thinking but also have practical applications in various industries. They also provide an interesting and fun way to explore the properties of the Fibonacci sequence.