Fidelity for quantum state at t=0

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fidelity between quantum states, specifically the initial state at t=0 and a final state at time t. The formula for calculating fidelity is given as e^-|α|^2 e^-|αsin(t)|^2 e^-|αcos(t)|^2. However, there is confusion about the value of fidelity at t=0, with one person getting a result of 0.00004 and the other believing it should be 1. The detailed calculation is provided, but there is still uncertainty about the correct answer.
deepalakshmi
TL;DR Summary
Fidelity for same pure quantum state
fidelity for pure state with respect to t=0 is 1. My teacher told me this.
But I am not getting this.
This is my detailed question
the initial state(t=0)##|\psi\rangle=|\alpha\rangle|0\rangle##
the final state (t) ##|\chi\rangle= |i\alpha\sin(t)\rangle|cos(t)\alpha\rangle##
Fidelity between the states I got is ##e^{-|\alpha|^2}e^{-|\alpha\sin(t)|^2}e^{-|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}##
when I tried to find fidelity for t=0, I got answer as 0.00004. But my teacher said that fidelity should be 1 here. I don't know how?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fidelity is the "distance" between two quantum states, so the statement
deepalakshmi said:
fidelity for pure state at t=0 is 1
is meaningless by itself. My guess is that fidelity is being measured here with respect to the initial (t=0) state.

Likes Demystifier
DrClaude said:
Fidelity is the "distance" between two quantum states, so the statement

is meaningless by itself. My guess is that fidelity is being measured here with respect to the initial (t=0) state.
I have edited the question

deepalakshmi said:
Fidelity between the states I got is ##e^{-|\alpha|^2}e^{-|\alpha\sin(t)|^2}e^{-|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}##
If the third factor was ##e^{+|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}##, then you would get fidelity 1 at ##t=0##. So check your signs!

No, the last factor is -(minus)
Here I have attached my calculation for your reference
##F=|\rangle\psi|\chi\rangle|^{2}##

the final state (t) ##|\chi\rangle= |i\alpha\sin(t)\rangle|cos(t)\alpha\rangle##
##F=|\langle|i\alpha\sin(t)\rangle\langle0|\alpha\cos(t)\rangle|^{2}##
On simplifying##\langle\alpha|i\alpha\sin(t)\rangle##, I will get ##e^{{-|\alpha|^2}/2}e^{{-|\alpha\sin(t)|^2}/2}e^{-|\alpha|^2sin(t)}##
Similarly on simplifying ##\langle0|\alpha\cos(t)\rangle##, I will get ##e^{{-|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}/2}##
so finally my fidelity will be ##e^{-|\alpha|^2}e^{-|\alpha\sin(t)|^2}e^{-|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}##

deepalakshmi said:
Here I have attached my calculation
That's not the calculation, that's just your results, so I cannot tell you where exactly is your error.

Demystifier said:
That's not the calculation, that's just your results, so I cannot tell you where exactly is your error.
Ok I will attach my detailed calculation on cos term alone

I'm only doing math in my head, but are you sure you have the order of the kets correct in the final state? I would think you'd be able to just take ##t=0## in ##\chi## and recover the initial state.

even if I change the final state order, I am still getting the same fidelity

In that case, I'm with @Demystifier. We will need to see your calculations to know what's going wrong. Because if you switch the order of the kets and take ##t=0##, then you get exactly the initial state.

My detailed calculation
##F=|\langle\psi|\chi\rangle|^{2}##

the final state (t) ##|\chi\rangle= |i\alpha\sin(t)\rangle|\cos(t)\alpha\rangle##
##F=|\langle|i\alpha\sin(t)\rangle\langle0|\alpha\cos(t)\rangle|^{2}##
On simplifying##\langle\alpha|i\alpha\sin(t)\rangle##
##\langle\alpha|i\alpha\sin(t)\rangle##

$$=e^{{-|\alpha|^2}/2}\sum_n{ \frac{(\alpha*)^n}{\sqrt{n!}} \langle n| e^{{-|\alpha \sin(t)|^2}/2}\sum_m{ \frac{(\alpha i \sin(t))^m}{\sqrt{m!}}| m\rangle$$

##= (e^{{-|\alpha|^2}/2}e^{{-|\alpha \sin(t)|^2}/2}\sum_n\sum_m{ \frac{(\alpha*)^n}{(\alpha i \sin(t))^m}{\sqrt{n!m!}} \langle n|m\rangle##

$$=(e^{{-|\alpha|^2}/2}e^{{-|\alpha \sin(t)|^2}/2}\sum_n{ \frac{(\alpha*\alpha i \sin(t))^n}{\sqrt{n!}}$$

##e^{{-|\alpha|^2}/2}e^{{-|\alpha \sin(t)|^2}/2}e^{{i|\alpha|^2}sin(t)}##

on simplifying ##\langle0|\alpha\cos(t)\rangle ##

##\langle0|\alpha\cos(t)\rangle##
=##\langle0|(e^{{-|\alpha|^2}/2}\sum_n{ \frac{(\alpha\cos(t))^n}{\sqrt{n!}} \langle n|##

=(e^{{-|\alpha|^2}/2}\sum_n{ \frac{(\alpha\cos(t))^n}{\sqrt{n!}}\langle 0|n\rangle

= e^{{-|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}/2}

putting both the simplified equation on F

$$F=|(e^{{-|\alpha|^2}/2})e^{{-|\alpha \sin(t)|^2}/2}e^{{i|\alpha|^2}sin(t)}e^{{-|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}/2}|^{2}$$

$$=e^{-|\alpha|^2}e^{-|\alpha \sin(t)|^2}e^{{i|\alpha|^2}sin(t)}e^{-{i|\alpha|^2}sin(t)}e^{-|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}$$

So finally my fidelity will be $$e^{-|\alpha|^2}e^{-|\alpha\sin(t)|^2}e^{-|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}$$

Last edited:
deepalakshmi said:
My detailed calculation
##F=|\rangle\psi|\chi\rangle|^{2}##

the final state (t) ##|\chi\rangle= |i\alpha\sin(t)\rangle|\cos(t)\alpha\rangle##
F=##|\langle|i\alpha\sin(t)\rangle\langle0|\alpha\cos(t)\rangle|^{2}##
On simplifying##\langle\alpha|i\alpha\sin(t)\rangle##
##\langle\alpha|i\alpha\sin(t)\rangle##=##(e^{{-|\alpha|^2}/2}\sum_n{ \frac{(\alpha*)^n}{\sqrt{n!}} \langle n|)(e^{{-|\alpha \sin(t)|^2}/2}\sum_m{ \frac{(\alpha i \sin(t))^m}{\sqrt{m!}}| m\rangle##
##=(e^{{-|\alpha|^2}/2}e^{{-|\alpha \sin(t)|^2}/2}\sum_n\sum_m{ \frac{(\alpha*)^n}{(\alpha i \sin(t))^m}{\sqrt{n!m!}} \langle n|m\rangle##
= ##(e^{{-|\alpha|^2}/2}e^{{-|\alpha \sin(t)|^2}/2}\sum_n{ \frac{(\alpha*\alpha i \sin(t))^n}{\sqrt{n!}}##
=##(e^{{-|\alpha|^2}/2}e^{{-|\alpha \sin(t)|^2}/2}e^{{i|\alpha|^2}sin(t)}##
on simplifying ##\langle0|\alpha\cos(t)\rangle##
##\langle0|\alpha\cos(t)\rangle##=##\langle0|(e^{{-|\alpha|^2}/2}\sum_n{ \frac{(\alpha\cos(t))^n}{\sqrt{n!}} \langle n|##
=##(e^{{-|\alpha|^2}/2}\sum_n{ \frac{(\alpha\cos(t))^n}{\sqrt{n!}}\langle 0|n\rangle##
= ##e^{{-|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}/2}##
putting both the simplified equation on F
##F=|(e^{{-|\alpha|^2}/2})e^{{-|\alpha \sin(t)|^2}/2}e^{{i|\alpha|^2}sin(t)}e^{{-|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}/2}|^{2}##
##=e^{-|\alpha|^2}e^{-|\alpha \sin(t)|^2}e^{{i|\alpha|^2}sin(t)}e^{-{i|\alpha|^2}sin(t)}e^{-|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}##
##=e^{-|\alpha|^2}e^{-|\alpha\sin(t)|^2}e^{-|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}##
Can someone edit this? I need help. I am trying to edit, but i can't

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Haborix
Pls help with editing. It is taking more than 1 hour for me. Still I can't properly edit it

@Demystifier @Haborix I have sent my full calculation. I am sure there is no mistake in it. But why am I not getting 1 when I substitute with t=0?

Haborix said:
I'm only doing math in my head, but are you sure you have the order of the kets correct in the final state? I would think you'd be able to just take ##t=0## in ##\chi## and recover the initial state.
As you have said, I changed the order of ket, I got the following fidelity
$$=e^{-|\alpha|^2}e^{-|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}|e^{|\alpha|^2cos(t)}|^2 e^{-|\alpha\sin(t)|^2}$$
$$=e^{-|\alpha|^2} e^{-|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}e^{|\alpha|^4cos^2(t)}e^{-|\alpha\sin(t)|^2}$$
$$=e^{-|\alpha|^2} e^{-(|\alpha|^2cos^2(t))+|\alpha|^4cos^2(t)} e^{-|\alpha\sin(t)|^2}$$
$$=e^{-|\alpha|^2} e^{|\alpha|^2cos^2(t)}e^{-|\alpha\sin(t)|^2}$$
Now if I substitute t=0, I am getting F=1.
Is my substitution correct?(mainly 4th equation)

deepalakshmi said:
I am sure there is no mistake in it.
If you make errors in editing that you don't see, how can you be sure that you don't make errors in computation that you don't see?

Demystifier said:
If you make errors in editing that you don't see, how can you be sure that you don't make errors in computation that you don't see?
Yes. I am wrong

deepalakshmi said:
Can someone edit this? I need help. I am trying to edit, but i can't
I could do that but I will not, for didactic reasons. You have to train your mind to spot all the tiny errors that you make, both in editing and in calculations.

Likes deepalakshmi
Demystifier said:
I could do that but I will not, for didactic reasons. You have to train your mind to spot all the tiny errors that you make, both in editing and in calculations.
Ok. Thanks.

deepalakshmi said:
As you have said, I changed the order of ket, I got the following fidelity
$$=e^{-|\alpha|^2}e^{-|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}|e^{|\alpha|^2cos(t)}|^2 e^{-|\alpha\sin(t)|^2}$$
$$=e^{-|\alpha|^2} e^{-|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}e^{|\alpha|^4cos^2(t)}e^{-|\alpha\sin(t)|^2}$$
$$=e^{-|\alpha|^2} e^{-(|\alpha|^2cos^2(t))+|\alpha|^4cos^2(t)} e^{-|\alpha\sin(t)|^2}$$
$$=e^{-|\alpha|^2} e^{|\alpha|^2cos^2(t)}e^{-|\alpha\sin(t)|^2}$$
Now if I substitute t=0, I am getting F=1.
Is my substitution correct?(mainly 4th equation)
Your substitution of ##t=0## looks fine, but you make an algebra error moving from the first to second line. Maybe you corrected the mistake later.

Haborix said:
Your substitution of ##t=0## looks fine, but you make an algebra error moving from the first to second line. Maybe you corrected the mistake later.
Can you point that algebra error? And what is ##|e^{|\alpha|^2cos(t)}|^2##?

Last edited:
Haborix said:
$$F=e^{-|\alpha|^2}e^{-|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}|e^{|\alpha|^2cos(t)}|^2 e^{-|\alpha\sin(t)|^2}$$
$$=e^{-|\alpha|^2} e^{-|\alpha\cos(t)|^2}e^{|\alpha|^2cos(t)}e^{|\alpha|^2cos(t)}e^{-|\alpha\sin(t)|^2}$$
$$ =e^{-|\alpha|^2} e^{-|\alpha|^2cos^2(t)}e^{2|\alpha|^2cos(t)} e^{-|\alpha\sin(t)|^2}$$Is it correct now?

Likes Haborix

1. What is fidelity for quantum state at t=0?

Fidelity for quantum state at t=0 is a measure of how similar two quantum states are at the initial time t=0. It quantifies the overlap between the two states and can be used to determine the accuracy of a quantum operation or measurement.

2. How is fidelity calculated for quantum states?

Fidelity is calculated using the inner product of two quantum states. It is the square of the absolute value of the inner product between the two states, and ranges from 0 to 1, with 1 indicating a perfect match between the states.

3. What is the significance of fidelity in quantum computing?

Fidelity is an important metric in quantum computing as it measures the accuracy and reliability of quantum operations and measurements. It is also used to assess the performance of quantum algorithms and the overall quality of a quantum system.

4. Can fidelity be greater than 1 for quantum states?

No, fidelity cannot be greater than 1 for quantum states. This is because it is the square of the absolute value of the inner product, which is always between 0 and 1. A fidelity of 1 indicates a perfect match between the states, while a fidelity of 0 indicates no overlap or similarity.

5. How does fidelity change over time for quantum states?

Fidelity can change over time for quantum states as they evolve according to the laws of quantum mechanics. It is often used to track the fidelity of a quantum system as it undergoes operations or measurements, and can provide insights into the stability and coherence of the system.