Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Field equations fully written out

1. May 26, 2016 #1
    Hi,

Does anybody know a link where the Einstein field equations are fully written out, i.e. in terms of only the coefficients of the metric tensor and derivatives on the left side? I'm just curious how huge this must be.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2016 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write them yourself. No spoon feeding on PF.

4. May 27, 2016 #3
    I don't know why anyone would want to do such a thing - avoiding such overkill is precisely one of the reasons why we use tensor notation. But if you are really curious, you can always try and do this yourself - start with the expression for the Einstein tensor in terms of the metric and the Christoffel symbols, and simply expand all terms and sums. HINT : you are going to need a lot of patience, and a lot of paper :nb)

5. May 27, 2016 #4
    I don't think this is an issue of spoon feeding as the educational value of what the OP is asking for is pretty minimal at best (maybe as a wallpaper design?). I think we all know (hope?) that the OP will give up before achieving the objective.

So, to the OP:
    I would advise you to obtain the maxima or wxmaxima program with the ctensor package, set up a metric with all components present and use the ctensor features to generate the output of Einstein's Equation. I can pretty much guarantee that you will get bored and abandon the attempt before the answer has even finished scrolling by. But at least you will have learned something nontrivial about using a computer algebra system, which you might well find useful at some point in the future.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted