Field equations fully written out

In summary, this is not something that is possible to do without a lot of patience and a lot of computer algebra.
greypilgrim
Hi,

Does anybody know a link where the Einstein field equations are fully written out, i.e. in terms of only the coefficients of the metric tensor and derivatives on the left side? I'm just curious how huge this must be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write them yourself. No spoon feeding on PF.

Likes vanhees71
greypilgrim said:
Does anybody know a link where the Einstein field equations are fully written out, i.e. in terms of only the coefficients of the metric tensor and derivatives on the left side? I'm just curious how huge this must be.

I don't know why anyone would want to do such a thing - avoiding such overkill is precisely one of the reasons why we use tensor notation. But if you are really curious, you can always try and do this yourself - start with the expression for the Einstein tensor in terms of the metric and the Christoffel symbols, and simply expand all terms and sums. HINT : you are going to need a lot of patience, and a lot of paper :nb)

Likes Battlemage!
dextercioby said:
Write them yourself. No spoon feeding on PF.
Markus Hanke said:
I don't know why anyone would want to do such a thing - avoiding such overkill is precisely one of the reasons why we use tensor notation. But if you are really curious, you can always try and do this yourself - start with the expression for the Einstein tensor in terms of the metric and the Christoffel symbols, and simply expand all terms and sums. HINT : you are going to need a lot of patience, and a lot of paper :nb)

I don't think this is an issue of spoon feeding as the educational value of what the OP is asking for is pretty minimal at best (maybe as a wallpaper design?). I think we all know (hope?) that the OP will give up before achieving the objective.

So, to the OP:
I would advise you to obtain the maxima or wxmaxima program with the ctensor package, set up a metric with all components present and use the ctensor features to generate the output of Einstein's Equation. I can pretty much guarantee that you will get bored and abandon the attempt before the answer has even finished scrolling by. But at least you will have learned something nontrivial about using a computer algebra system, which you might well find useful at some point in the future.

Likes Battlemage!, Markus Hanke and vanhees71

What are field equations fully written out?

Field equations fully written out refer to the mathematical equations that describe the behavior of a physical field, such as the electromagnetic field or the gravitational field. These equations are typically written using vector calculus and describe the relationship between the field and its sources.

Why are field equations important?

Field equations are important because they allow us to understand and predict the behavior of physical fields. They provide a mathematical framework for studying the interactions between fields and matter, and have been instrumental in developing our understanding of fundamental forces and phenomena in the universe.

What are some examples of field equations?

Some examples of field equations include Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of the electromagnetic field, and Einstein's field equations, which describe the relationship between matter and the curvature of spacetime in general relativity.

How are field equations used in scientific research?

Field equations are used in scientific research to develop theories and models that can explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. They are also used in practical applications, such as in engineering and technology, to design and optimize devices and systems that rely on the behavior of fields.

Are field equations fully written out the only way to describe physical fields?

No, there are other ways to describe physical fields, such as through Lagrangian or Hamiltonian formulations. However, field equations are a powerful and widely used approach that has proven to be successful in many areas of physics.