Field generated by electric quadrupole

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the field of an electric quadrupole consisting of two oppositely charged dipoles in close proximity. The first part of the question involves finding the field for points to the right of x=a, while the second part involves showing that for x>>a, the field falls off as 1/x^4. The calculations involve using the equations for electric potential and electric field, and simplifying the resulting fractions to show the desired result.
kjintonic

Homework Statement

"An electric quadrupole consists of two oppositely charged dipoles in close proximity. (a) Calculate the field of the quadrupole shown in the diagram for points to the right of x = a, and (b) show that for x>>a the quadrupole field falls off as
\frac{1}{x^4}"

---------(+q)-----(-2q)-----(+q)----------

the left charge is at position x = -a, the middle is at x = 0, and the right is at x = a.

Homework Equations

\vec{E}(P)=\sum{\frac{kq}{r^2} \hat{r}}

The Attempt at a Solution

i found the charge to be this convoluted mess, but i don't see any ways of simplifying it.
\frac{kq}{(x-a)^2} \hat{i} - \frac{2kq}{x^2} \hat{i} + \frac{kq}{(x+a)^2} \hat{i}

when i combined the fractions i got something even more horrifying.
kq \left[ \frac{x^2(x+a)^2 - 2(x+a)^2(x-a)^2+x^2(x-a)^2} {x^2(x-a)^2(x+a)^2} \right]

the way i understand it, when you show that something "falls off" you negate the a as x becomes very big, which makes sense... the a is very small and therefore pretty much negligible. however, when i did that and simplified, i got this:
\frac{0}{x^6}

where did i go wrong? And how do I start the second part of the question:?

Physics news on Phys.org
kjintonic said:

Homework Statement

"An electric quadrupole consists of two oppositely charged dipoles in close proximity. (a) Calculate the field of the quadrupole shown in the diagram for points to the right of x = a, and (b) show that for x>>a the quadrupole field falls off as
[tex]\frac{1}{x^4}[/tex]"

---------(+q)-----(-2q)-----(+q)----------

the left charge is at position x = -a, the middle is at x = 0, and the right is at x = a.

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{E}(P)=\sum{\frac{kq}{r^2} \hat{r}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i found the charge to be this convoluted mess, but i don't see any ways of simplifying it.
[tex]\frac{kq}{(x-a)^2} \hat{i} - \frac{2kq}{x^2} \hat{i} + \frac{kq}{(x+a)^2} \hat{i}[/tex]

when i combined the fractions i got something even more horrifying.
[tex]kq \left[ \frac{x^2(x+a)^2 - 2(x+a)^2(x-a)^2+x^2(x-a)^2} {x^2(x-a)^2(x+a)^2} \right][/tex]

Hi kjintonic! :smile:

At the top, the x^4s cancel, and you get a^2x^2s etc,

and the bottom is x^6 + …
the way i understand it, when you show that something "falls off" you negate the a as x becomes very big, which makes sense... the a is very small and therefore pretty much negligible. however, when i did that and simplified, i got this:
[tex]\frac{0}{x^6}[/tex]

No, you don't let a –> 0, you just let a stay fixed, and let x —> ∞.

So a^2x^2 + … / x^6 + … = a^2/x^4 + … :smile:

(oh … and you have to type [noparse][tex] before and [/tex] after any LaTeX! [/noparse] :wink:)

potential due to the quadrupole is;
V=qd²[3cos²θ-1]/4╥εx³

Now,
Radial component of electric field, Ex=-∂V/∂x=-∂/∂x[qd²(3cos²θ-1)/4╥εx³]

and

Transverse component of field, Eθ= - (1/x)[∂V/∂θ]
=-(1/r){∂/∂θ[qd²(3cos²θ-1)/4╥εx³]}

therefore,resultant field is, E=√(Ex²+Eθ²) which will be proportional to 1/x^4.

Thanks a lot for the help. I simplified that combined faction and got \:
(6a^2x^2-a^2)/(x^6-2a^2x^4+a^4x^2).

I can't see any more way to simplify it :(

kjintonic said:
Thanks a lot for the help. I simplified that combined faction and got \:
(6a^2x^2-a^2)/(x^6-2a^2x^4+a^4x^2).

I can't see any more way to simplify it :(

(what about[noparse] [tex] and [/tex]?[/noparse])

Why do you want to?

That obviously falls off as 1/x4. :smile:

(If you're not convinced, just divide top and bottom by x6)

o cool :D Thanks a lot. One last question. This does prove that the quad falls off as 1/x^4 but how do i get field to the right of x=a?

What is an electric quadrupole?

An electric quadrupole is a configuration of two equal and opposite charges separated by a distance, creating a dipole moment. This dipole moment is then oriented perpendicular to the line connecting the two charges, resulting in a quadrupole moment.

How is the field generated by an electric quadrupole?

The field generated by an electric quadrupole is a combination of the fields generated by the two individual charges. The electric field lines from each charge cancel out in the plane containing the two charges, but add up in the perpendicular planes, creating a quadrupole field.

What is the mathematical expression for the field generated by an electric quadrupole?

The mathematical expression for the field generated by an electric quadrupole is given by the equation:

F = k*(2qx/r^3)*x + k*(2qy/r^3)*y + k*(qz/r^3)(3z^2-r^2)

where k is the Coulomb constant, q is the charge, r is the distance from the origin, and x, y, and z are the coordinates.

What is the significance of the electric quadrupole moment?

The electric quadrupole moment is a measure of the distribution of charge in a system. It is used to describe the shape and orientation of a charge distribution, and is important in understanding the behavior of molecules and atoms in electric fields.

How is the field from an electric quadrupole different from that of a dipole?

The field from an electric quadrupole is more complex than that of a dipole, as it has both a dipole and a quadrupole component. Unlike a dipole, which has a single direction for its field, the field from an electric quadrupole varies in magnitude and direction depending on the location in space, making it more difficult to visualize.