Field lines of a ring of magnets?

In summary, the conversation discusses building a permanent magnet alternator with a different approach, using magnets facing in the same direction. The speaker presents a visual image of what they expect the field lines to look like and asks for thoughts on this design. Another participant suggests two options for the permanent magnet rotor and provides a link for further information.
dfinch
Hi I'm trying to build a permanent magnet alternator with a different approach than usual. Most PMAs have a ring of magnets alternating north and south. But I'm wondering what would the field lines look like if ALL the magnets faced one direction? Would it provide a useful magnetic field, or does it cancel itself out somehow?

Here's my visual image of what I'd expect to see:

http://fenstalker.com/content/ring_magnet.gif

I know my arrows are confusing, but the idea is that the fields would emanate from the outside of the ring, then curl back up and down, returning to the center, from all angles. Is this accurate?

Your thoughts?

Thanks!
-brian

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dfinch-
For an alternator, there are two choices for a permanent magnet rotor; Axial field (field parallel to the alternator axis) or radial field. The coil design and layout is much easier for the axial field magnet design. See
http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2009/4/4/214533/4539
Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:

I would say that your visual image is a good representation of what the field lines of a ring of magnets would look like if all the magnets were facing the same direction. The magnetic field would indeed emanate from the outside of the ring and curl back up and down, returning to the center from all angles. However, the strength and direction of the magnetic field at any given point would depend on the strength and direction of each individual magnet within the ring. If all the magnets are facing the same direction, the resulting magnetic field may be stronger in that direction, but it may also be less uniform and may have more complex patterns of field lines. Whether this would be useful for your specific application would depend on the specific design and purpose of your permanent magnet alternator. It is possible that this arrangement could provide a useful magnetic field, but it would require further analysis and testing to determine its effectiveness. Overall, your approach is interesting and may have potential, but it would require further experimentation and analysis to fully understand its capabilities.

1. What are field lines of a ring of magnets?

The field lines of a ring of magnets refer to the lines that represent the direction of the magnetic field around the ring. They are used to visualize the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

2. How are the field lines of a ring of magnets formed?

The field lines of a ring of magnets are formed due to the magnetic dipole moment of the individual magnets. The magnetic field lines are curved as they emerge from one pole of the magnet, loop around the ring, and enter the other pole of the magnet.

3. What determines the strength of the field lines in a ring of magnets?

The strength of the field lines in a ring of magnets is determined by the strength of the individual magnets and their arrangement in the ring. The closer the magnets are to each other, the stronger the field lines will be.

4. Do the field lines of a ring of magnets always form a closed loop?

Yes, the field lines of a ring of magnets always form a closed loop because they emerge from one pole of the magnet and enter the other pole, forming a continuous path.

5. How can the field lines of a ring of magnets be used in practical applications?

The field lines of a ring of magnets can be used in various practical applications, such as in motors, generators, and magnetic sensors. They are also used in research and experiments to study the behavior of magnetic fields.