Field Theory _ Dummit and Foote - Example 4 - page 516 - Simple Computation

In summary, Deveno and Foote say that to find a(x) and b(x) we need to find the greatest common divisor of x^3-2 and x+1. To do that, we divide x^3-2 by x+1, getting a quotient and a remainder. The quotient is then rearranged to give -\frac13(x^3-2) + \frac13(x^2-x+1)(x+1) = 1. This shows that a(x) and b(x) can be found using the inverse of a coset.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote, Chapter 13 - Field Theory.

I am currently studying Example 4 [pages 515 - 516]

I need some help with what D&F call a simple computation.

Example 4 on pages 515-516 reads as follows:View attachment 2731
View attachment 2732

Now in the above example, D&F write the following:

" ... ... In this case, a simple computation shows that we can take \(\displaystyle a(x) = \frac{1}{3} ( x^2 - x + 1) \text{ (and } b(x) = - \frac{1}{3} )\) so that

\(\displaystyle {(1 + \theta)}^{-1} = \frac{ \theta^2 - \theta +1}{3} \) ... ... "Although I can verify that the expressions for a(x) and b(x) are correct I cannot see how D&F arrived at (or calculated) a(x) and b(x).

Can someone please help me by explaining the process by which one arrives at the explicit expressions for a(x) and b(x)?

Peter

***NOTE*** Some time ago Deveno helped me with the theory of this example, but we did not discuss the details of the computation mentioned above ... now that I am revising this example I am happy with the theory but cannot see how D&F did their computation ...

Physics news on Phys.org
The "simple computation" is Euclid's algorithm. What that says here is that to find $a(x)$ and $b(x)$ we need to compute the greatest common divisor of $x^3-2$ and $x+1$. To do that, divide $x^3-2$ by $x+1$, getting a quotient and a remainder: $$x^3 - 2 = (x+1)(x^2 - x + 1) - 3.$$ Then rearrange that as $-\frac13(x^3-2) + \frac13(x^2 - x + 1)(x+1) = 1.$

Opalg said:
The "simple computation" is Euclid's algorithm. What that says here is that to find $a(x)$ and $b(x)$ we need to compute the greatest common divisor of $x^3-2$ and $x+1$. To do that, divide $x^3-2$ by $x+1$, getting a quotient and a remainder: $$x^3 - 2 = (x+1)(x^2 - x + 1) - 3.$$ Then rearrange that as $-\frac13(x^3-2) + \frac13(x^2 - x + 1)(x+1) = 1.$

Thanks Opalg ... Appreciate the help

Peter

There is another way to find $\dfrac{1}{1 + \theta}$ using the fact that:

$\theta^3 = 2$. (1)

We know such an inverse must be of the form $a + b\theta + c\theta^2$, since any higher powers of $\theta$ can be reduced using (1).

We thus have:

$1 = (1 + \theta)(a + b\theta + c\theta^2) = a + (a + b)\theta + (b + c)\theta^2 + c\theta^3$

$= (a + 2c) + (a + b)\theta + (b + c)\theta^2$, so that:

$a + 2c = 1$
$a + b= 0$
$b + c = 0$.

So $a = c$, and thus $a = \frac{1}{3}$, so that:

$\dfrac{1}{1 + \theta} = \dfrac{1 - \theta + \theta^2}{3}$

This (I hope) illustrates the utility of replacing the coset $x + (x^3 - 2)$ with a single symbol, $\theta$.

Deveno said:
There is another way to find $\dfrac{1}{1 + \theta}$ using the fact that:

$\theta^3 = 2$. (1)

We know such an inverse must be of the form $a + b\theta + c\theta^2$, since any higher powers of $\theta$ can be reduced using (1).

We thus have:

$1 = (1 + \theta)(a + b\theta + c\theta^2) = a + (a + b)\theta + (b + c)\theta^2 + c\theta^3$

$= (a + 2c) + (a + b)\theta + (b + c)\theta^2$, so that:

$a + 2c = 1$
$a + b= 0$
$b + c = 0$.

So $a = c$, and thus $a = \frac{1}{3}$, so that:

$\dfrac{1}{1 + \theta} = \dfrac{1 - \theta + \theta^2}{3}$

This (I hope) illustrates the utility of replacing the coset $x + (x^3 - 2)$ with a single symbol, $\theta$.

Thanks Deveno ... Appreciate the help and the insights ...

Peter

Related to Field Theory _ Dummit and Foote - Example 4 - page 516 - Simple Computation

1. What is Field Theory?

Field Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures called fields. A field is a set with two operations, addition and multiplication, that follows specific rules and properties.

2. Who are Dummit and Foote?

Dummit and Foote are the authors of the textbook "Abstract Algebra", which is a comprehensive guide to the study of algebraic structures, including Field Theory. They are renowned mathematicians and professors at University of Vermont and University of Michigan, respectively.

3. What is Example 4 on page 516 in Dummit and Foote's "Abstract Algebra" textbook?

Example 4 on page 516 is a simple computation that demonstrates the use of Field Theory to solve a specific problem. It involves finding the roots of a polynomial over a finite field.

4. What is Simple Computation in the context of Field Theory?

Simple Computation refers to the process of using basic algebraic operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to manipulate elements in a field and solve mathematical problems.

5. Why is Example 4 on page 516 important in the study of Field Theory?

Example 4 is important because it illustrates the practical applications of Field Theory in solving real-world problems. It also helps students understand the fundamental concepts and properties of fields in a concrete way.