Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

File Size Q

1. Jan 29, 2006 #1

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

OK. I know it's silly, but I was wondering what the possibility would be to look into presenting the idea for consideration before a commitee to examine the particulars of the logistical implications of increasing the allowed file size for avatars? I think it's a bit on the wee side. Any thoughts? Any anecdotes?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yeah bigger avatars!!!!!

4. Jan 30, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, I thought that was something that was going to accompany the whole upgrade, new skin thing! Did I imagine that, or had there been talk about a slightly larger avatar size back then? I know I had a hard time squeeeeeeshing the image I used into a small enough file size (even when it was already 64 x 64 pixels and down to a resolution of 72 dpi, I had to fiddle with re-saving it in different programs to make it shrink even further).

5. Jan 30, 2006 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Wow. I didn't think I would have had any support on this one. Cool.

6. Jan 30, 2006 #5

Evo

I remember Greg saying that they would be 100 x100 I believe, definitely bigger.

7. Jan 30, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, that's what I had stuck in my mind too, so if we both remember the same thing, we can't have both imagined it, right?

8. Jan 30, 2006 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Larger avatars??

9. Jan 31, 2006 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Yeah! With flashing lights, sounds, explosions, the works. It'll be great! j/k.

10. Jan 31, 2006 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You have to forgive them, Monique. They're men. They still think size matters!

:)

<ZapperZ runs and hides>

Zz.

11. Jan 31, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:eek: *looks down* :shy: Phew! Still female. You had me worried for a moment there! :tongue: *pelts Zz with Nerf balls* :grumpy:

12. Jan 31, 2006 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Then you really have no excuse, Moonbie!

<ZapperZ ducks some more>

Zz.

13. Jan 31, 2006 #12
    I'll support you so that when I finally get around to sorting out my bank account and getting a debit card to contribute, I can have a gigantic avatar.

14. Feb 1, 2006 #13

Astronuc

I'll throw my support behind 100 x100 avatar pics, which is the same size as the profile picture. That probably means tinkering with the public profile template though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?