1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Final round: Integrating factors

1. May 13, 2007 #1

ssb

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Final round I promise!!!!

Is there some sort of trick that can be applied to the following equation so that it is easier to process?
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{1}{t+y},\:y(-1)=0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Somebody told me that the equation can be made easier by reinterpreting it with y as the independent variable and t as the dependent variable. I still have a vacant look about my face now as I did back then.

I know that [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{1}{\frac{dt}{dy}}[/tex] but when I try to apply it to my initial equation, I get the same thing I started with.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

'Somebody' is right. It turns the equation into 1/t'=1/(t+y). Or t'=t+y. That does look a bit simpler, right?

4. May 13, 2007 #3

ssb

Then you just solve it the normal way as if t' were y'? I dont mean rename everything but just work the problem through solving for f(y) instead of y(t)???

Just fyi I love you.

5. May 13, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly........

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?