How can I find a formula for dy/dx when given a function with three variables?

• Thread starter jonroberts74
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, you need to understand what the result of a function is before you can solve for its dy/dx.
jonroberts74
Let y be a function of x satisfying [tex]F(x,y, x+y)=0[/tex] where [tex]F(x,y,z)[/tex] is a given function. find a formula for [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

I know

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{-f_{x}}{{f_y}}[/tex]

but how does this change now that I have 3 variables

Physics news on Phys.org
jonroberts74 said:
I know

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{-f_{x}}{{f_y}}[/tex]

but how does this change now that I have 3 variables
You should probably put a little more effort into your explanations of what you're thinking. It took me a while to decode what you're saying here. You appear to have done the following, and then solved for dy/dx:
$$0=\frac{d}{dx}f(x,y)=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}.$$ What do you get when you try the same approach with F?
$$0=\frac{d}{dx}F(x,y,x+y)=?$$

Fredrik said:
You should probably put a little more effort into your explanations of what you're thinking. It took me a while to decode what you're saying here. You appear to have done the following, and then solved for dy/dx:
$$0=\frac{d}{dx}f(x,y)=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}.$$ What do you get when you try the same approach with F?
$$0=\frac{d}{dx}F(x,y,x+y)=?$$

[tex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(1+1)}{\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(1+1)} = \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

??

jonroberts74 said:
[tex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]
What you're dealing with is F(x,y,z) where z=x+y, so the last term should include ##\partial F/\partial z##, not ##\partial F/\partial x##.

[tex]\frac{-\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}}{\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}} = \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

??

That's not what I get. It's hard to tell where you went wrong, since you didn't post the calculation. The key to this problem is to apply the chain rule correctly at the start of the calculation, so I'm guessing that you did that wrong.

Could F be the zero function here? If so, I don't how there is enough information to answer the question.

You said that F(x, y, x+ y)= 0. While F could be F(x,y,z)= 0 for all x, y, and z, it does NOT have to be. For example, F(x, y, z)= x+ y- z satisfies F(x, y, x+ y)= x+ y- (x+ y)= 0 for all x and y.

But certainly the best way to handle this problem is to treat F(x, y, z) with the provision that is z= x+ y then F(x, y, x+ y)= 0. Letting f(x,y)= F(x, y, x+ y), so that f is identically 0, then
[tex]df= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy= 0[/tex]
[tex]df= \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}dx+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}dy+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}(dx+ dy)[/tex]
[tex]= \left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}\right)dx+ \left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}\right)dy= 0[/tex]

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
You said that F(x, y, x+ y)= 0. While F could be F(x,y,z)= 0 for all x, y, and z, it does NOT have to be. For example, F(x, y, z)= x+ y- z satisfies F(x, y, x+ y)= x+ y- (x+ y)= 0 for all x and y.

But certainly the best way to handle this problem is to treat F(x, y, z) with the provision that is z= x+ y then F(x, y, x+ y)= 0. Letting f(x,y)= F(x, y, x+ y), so that f is identically 0, then
[tex]df= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy= 0[/tex]
[tex]df= \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}dx+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}dy+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}(dx+ dy)[/tex]
[tex]= \left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}\right)dx+ \left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}\right)dy= 0[/tex]

[tex] \left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}\right)dy= - \left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}\right)dx[/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{- \left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}\right)}{\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}\right)}[/tex]

jonroberts74 said:
[tex] \frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{- \left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}\right)}{\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}\right)}[/tex]
The end result happens to be correct, but your way of finding it is not. You can't just treat dy and dx as numbers and solve for dy/dx. If you use HallsofIvy's approach, you have to understand the significance of a result like the one he got.

I would recommend that you stick to the original approach and use it to find this result. Then we can discuss HallsofIvy's approach as an alternative if you want. His approach may be a part of something that you haven't yet studied.

Last edited:
I used the implicit function theorem

2-variable case

suppose [tex]f_{y}(x_{0},y_{0}) \neq 0[/tex]

so that y can be thought as a function of x (locally)

[tex]f(x,y)=K; f: \mathbb{R}^2 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{D}f = [ f_{x}\,\,\,f_{y}][/tex]

and

[tex]\vec{i}: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2[/tex]

[tex]\vec{i}(x) = \left[\begin{array}{cc}x\\ y(x)\end{array}\right][/tex]

[tex]\vec{D}f(\vec{i}(x))D\vec{i}(x) = [f_{x}(x,y(x))\,\,\,f_{y}(x,y(x))] \left[\begin{array}{cc}1\\\frac{dy}{dx}\end{array}\right]=0[/tex]

[tex]f_{x}(x,y(x))+f{y}(x,y(x))\frac{dy}{dx}=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{-f_{x}(x,y(x))}{f_{y}(x,y(x))}[/tex]

Unless the problem statement says that the relationship between x and y is given by ##f(x,y)=0##, I see no need to invoke the implicit function theorem to justify why y is a function of x. We can just use the chain rule:
$$0=\frac{d}{dx}f(x,y) =\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} +\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx} ~\Rightarrow~ \frac{dy}{dx} =\frac{-\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}}{\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}}.$$ It looks like you've been given that y is a function of x in your problem, so you can use essentially the same method. You just need to apply the chain rule correctly when you evaluate ##\frac{d}{dx}F(x,y,x+y)##.

Regarding the alternative method that HallsofIvy suggested, I said earlier that you can't treat dx and dy as numbers and solve for dy/dx, but after some thought I see that you can. Specifically, you can view dx as an arbitrary number and dy as defined by dy=(dy/dx)dx. Then you can solve for dy/dx. But I wouldn't recommend this approach unless you have studied a definition of df in your book, and understand it well.

Likes 1 person

1. What does "dy/dx" mean?

"dy/dx" is a mathematical notation used to represent the derivative of a function. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable.

2. How do you find a formula for dy/dx?

To find a formula for dy/dx, you need to first find the derivative of the given function. This can be done using various differentiation rules such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. Once the derivative is found, you can simplify it to get the formula for dy/dx.

3. What are the applications of finding a formula for dy/dx?

Finding a formula for dy/dx is useful in many areas of science and engineering. It helps in calculating rates of change, determining maximum and minimum values, and understanding the behavior of functions in different scenarios. It is also essential in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering for solving real-world problems.

4. Can I use a formula for dy/dx to find the slope of a curve?

Yes, you can use a formula for dy/dx to find the slope of a curve. The slope of a curve at a particular point is equal to the value of dy/dx at that point. This means that by plugging in the point's coordinates into the formula, you can find the slope of the curve at that point.

5. Are there any online tools or software that can help me find a formula for dy/dx?

Yes, there are various online tools and software that can help you find a formula for dy/dx. Some popular ones include WolframAlpha, Desmos, and Symbolab. These tools use algorithms and built-in formulas to quickly calculate the derivative and provide the formula for dy/dx. However, it is always recommended to understand the concept and learn to find the derivative by hand before relying on these tools.