Find a recurrence word problem.

In summary, to find a recurrence relation for the number of ways to tile a rectangular board of length n cm with 2cmx2cm and 1cmx2cm tiles, we use the formula an = an-1 + an-2, and for a board of length 5cm, there are 8 possible ways to tile it.
charmedbeauty
find a recurrence,,, word problem.

Homework Statement

A rectangular board 2cm wide and ncm long is to be covered with smaller tiles of size 2cmx2cm and 1cmx2cm. There is an unlimited supply of both types of tile.

For each n=1,2,... let an be the number of ways that a board of length n cm can be covered with the two types of tile.

a) find a recurrence relation for an , n>2.

b) find a5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I am not really sure how these answers are meant to be set out... its something like an= an-1...

I imagine when n=3, there is a 2x3 board so it can be tiled with with 3(1x2) or 1(2x2)+1(1x2) tiles. so it can be done in two ways?

n=4 ... 2(2x2) or 4(1x2) or 1(2x2)+ 2(1x2) so 3 ways

n=5... 2(2x5)+1(1x2) or 1(2x2)+3(2x1) or 5(1x2) so 3 ways.

n=6 ... 3(2x2) or 2(2x2) +2(1x2) or 1(2x2) +4(1x2) or 6(1x2) so 4 ways.

am I meant to be seeing a pattern? maybe an is the same for (2n) and (2n+1)

all I can think of is that a 2cmx2cm = 2 (1cmx2cm) tiles.

I imagine that part b) has to do with part a) so I can't solve without a.

any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
.a) The recurrence relation for an is an = an-1 + an-2. This recurrence relation takes into account the fact that when laying tiles on a board of length n, one can either add two 1x2 tiles (in which case you have a board of length n-2) or one 2x2 tile (in which case you have a board of length n-4). b) For a5, there are 8 ways to tile the board: 3(2x2), 2(2x2) + 2(1x2), 1(2x2) + 4(1x2), 8(1x2).

1. What is a recurrence word problem?

A recurrence word problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a pattern or formula for a sequence of numbers or events. The formula is then used to predict future values in the sequence.

2. How do you solve a recurrence word problem?

To solve a recurrence word problem, you first need to identify the pattern or formula in the given sequence. This can be done by looking at the differences or ratios between consecutive terms. Once the pattern is identified, you can use it to find the missing terms or predict future values.

3. What are some common strategies for finding a recurrence in a word problem?

Some common strategies for finding a recurrence in a word problem include looking for patterns in the numbers, using algebraic equations to represent the sequence, and using a table or graph to visualize the sequence.

4. Can recurrence word problems be solved without using a formula?

Yes, recurrence word problems can be solved without using a formula. Some problems may require only basic arithmetic operations, while others may require more advanced problem-solving techniques such as algebra or geometric series.

5. How can solving recurrence word problems be useful in real life?

Solving recurrence word problems can be useful in real life as it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. These skills can be applied in various fields such as finance, engineering, and computer science, where the ability to predict future values or outcomes is crucial.