Find a solution to the initial value problem

In summary, the homework statement is to find a continuous solution to the initial value problem for which y(0) is given. The first part of the question is that the problem is when g(t)=-sin(t). However, when g(t)=-sin(t) there is no solution because y(0)=-7. The second part of the problem is to find a continuous solution for π ≤ t ≤ 2π. This is done by solving for y'+sin(t)y=sin(t) for 0 ≤ t ≤ π. Once this is done, y(pi) can be used as the initial value for the second part.
Colts

Homework Statement

Find a solution to the initial value problem
53472edda767ff31eafec295f8d4491.png

that is continuous on the interval
1d5856a507737b03db7c79778851561.png
where
21564751f7c18c60a1a118c765afae1.png

Homework Equations

I know the equations, but don't want to type them out.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first part of this question. The part where g(t) = sin(t)

I can not figure it out when g(t)=-sin(t)
The answer I have come up with for that part is y(t)= -1+(8*e^(cos(t))/e)
This is using y(0)=y(2pi)

Any reason I can't do this? There must be some reason because I'm not getting the right answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay so I'll assume you've actually solved y' + sin(t)y = sin(t) for 0 ≤ t ≤ π.

I got y(t) = cecos(t) + 1. As the general solution.

As for solving the second one, I got y(t) = cecos(t) - 1 for π ≤ t ≤ 2π.

I'm not sure how you're getting what you got?

I have solved for y' + sin(t)y = sin(t) for 0 ≤ t ≤ π.

Since we are given y(0)=7 we are not allowed to put C in our answer. SO my First answer was y=1+6/e*e^cos(t)

but since we are not given something for the other interval I don't know how to solve for C. I thought I could use y(0) = 7 since 2pi and 0 are equal for sin and cos, but it is not right.

Colts said:

Since we are given y(0)=7 we are not allowed to put C in our answer. SO my First answer was y=1+6/e*e^cos(t)

but since we are not given something for the other interval I don't know how to solve for C. I thought I could use y(0) = 7 since 2pi and 0 are equal for sin and cos, but it is not right.

Your first answer is not correct, you may want to check it again, I'll assume it's an arithmetic error.

Also, you have the right idea evaluating the second one at 2π, once again though it's probably just arithmetic.

Zondrina said:
Your first answer is not correct, you may want to check it again, I'll assume it's an arithmetic error.

Also, you have the right idea evaluating the second one at 2π, once again though it's probably just arithmetic.

I'm not sure how my first is wrong? This is for online homework and I put it in and it says it is correct.

Colts said:

Yes, y=1+(6/e)*e^cos(t) is correct for the first part. Use that to find y(pi) and use it as an initial value for the second. And no, you can't assume y(0)=y(2pi). It's true for the individual parts. But it's not necessarily true if you are splicing them together and you cross the point where you joined them.

I tried a quick and dirty Excel brute force solution with just 10 points in each interval.

Wonder how off I am?

Mib89aV.png

1. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given set of conditions. These conditions usually involve an equation and one or more initial values, which represent the starting points for the function.

2. How do you solve an initial value problem?

To solve an initial value problem, you can use a variety of mathematical methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, or the Laplace transform. The specific method used will depend on the type of equation and the initial values given.

3. What is the importance of finding a solution to an initial value problem?

Solving an initial value problem allows us to understand the behavior of a system over time. This is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, where we often need to predict how a system will change over time.

4. Can there be multiple solutions to an initial value problem?

Yes, there can be multiple solutions to an initial value problem, depending on the specific conditions given. In some cases, there may even be an infinite number of solutions. It is important to carefully consider the initial conditions and the behavior of the system to determine the most appropriate solution.

5. Is it possible to have no solution to an initial value problem?

Yes, it is possible to have no solution to an initial value problem. This can occur if the initial conditions are not consistent with the given equation, or if the equation itself is not solvable. In these cases, it may be necessary to revise the initial conditions or use a different equation to find a solution.