Find Acceleration of Block: 1250 N, 950 N@70NofW, 1050N@50NofE

In summary, the problem is to find the acceleration of a block with a weight of 1250 N, being pulled by two forces of 950 N and 1050 N at angles of 70 degrees N of W and 50 degrees N of E, respectively. To solve this, the force vectors must be resolved into their components and then the equation F=m \bullet a must be used. Steps and explanations are needed in order to fully understand and remember the solution. The final equation to find the acceleration is a = F / m.
FilthyOtis

Homework Statement

Find the acceleration of the block.

the block weighs 1250 N.

it has a force of 950 N pulling on it at 70 degrees N of W and another force of 1050 N pulling at 50 degrees N of E.

This is just a review question at the start of my physics class first year in college. Pretty sure I should know how to do this but I just can't remember. Can anyone help me out with this one? I'm not just looking for an answer I'm looking for steps and why these are the steps so I can once again understand the situation making it easier to remember in the future. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Resolve the force vectors into their components and the use [tex]F=m \bullet a[/tex].

ptr said:
Resolve the force vectors into their components and the use [tex]F=m \bullet a[/tex].

Thanks, I figured it out a while later. got all the net forces and then got the mass and did
a = F / m.

What is the formula for finding acceleration?

The formula for finding acceleration is a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the net force, and m is the mass of the object.

How do you find the net force in this scenario?

To find the net force in this scenario, you would need to add all the individual forces acting on the block. In this case, the net force would be 1250 N (950 N @ 70 degrees west) - 1050 N (1050 N @ 50 degrees east) = 200 N west.

What is the mass of the block?

We cannot determine the mass of the block with the information given. The mass is needed in order to calculate the acceleration using the formula a = F/m.

What is the direction of the acceleration?

The direction of the acceleration would be west, as indicated by the net force of 200 N west.

What is the magnitude of the acceleration?

The magnitude of the acceleration can be found by dividing the net force by the mass. However, without knowing the mass, we cannot determine the magnitude of the acceleration in this scenario.