Find all units in each given ring

In summary, in 2Z there is only 1 unit, while in Z2 there are 2 units. The unit in 2Z x Z is 1, while the multiplicative identity element is 1.
sarah77

Homework Statement

Describe all the units (if any) in each given ring: 2Z X Z with addition and multiplication by components; and Z X Q X Z with addition and multiplication by components

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know how to begin, I am not sure how to find the units in 2Z and Z

Physics news on Phys.org
You can start by showing that (a,b) is a unit in AxB if and only if a and b are units...

Let's start with the definition of a unit in a ring:

In mathematics, an invertible element or a unit in a (unital) ring R refers to any element u that has an inverse element in the multiplicative monoid of R, i.e. such element v that
uv = vu = 1, where 1 is the multiplicative identity element.

In Z2 we have only two elements: 0 and 1.
Which of those satisfies the definition of a "unit"?

Do you know how to multiply in 2Z X Z?
If so, What is the multiplicative identity element in 2Z X Z?

I like Serena said:
Let's start with the definition of a unit in a ring:

In mathematics, an invertible element or a unit in a (unital) ring R refers to any element u that has an inverse element in the multiplicative monoid of R, i.e. such element v that
uv = vu = 1, where 1 is the multiplicative identity element.

In Z2 we have only two elements: 0 and 1.
Which of those satisfies the definition of a "unit"?

Do you know how to multiply in 2Z X Z?
If so, What is the multiplicative identity element in 2Z X Z?

The Unit in 2Z is 1, so the multiplicative identity element in 2Z x Z is 1; does that mean that all numbers are units in 2Z x Z?

sarah77 said:
The Unit in 2Z is 1, so the multiplicative identity element in 2Z x Z is 1; does that mean that all numbers are units in 2Z x Z?

Not so fast! ;)

Since 0.v = 0 for every v in Z2, 0 is not a unit in Z2, and so yes, the unit in Z2 is 1.

However, 1 is not the multiplicative identity element in Z2 x Z.
This set is a so called "cartesian product" (may be you already know all of this, so excuse me if I'm too explicit).
Each element in Z2 x Z is of the form (a, b), where a is an element of Z2 and b is an element of Z.
And multiplication, for instance, is defined by:
(a, b) x (c, d) = (ac mod 2, bd)

In particular the multiplicative identity element in Z2 x Z is (1, 1).

A "unit" is, however, something different from the multiplicative identity element.
It is any element (a, b) in Z2 x Z, for which there exists a (c, d), such that:
(a, b) x (c, d) = (1, 1).

This in turn means that: ac mod 2 = 1 mod 2
and it also means that: bd = 1

Since the only (a, b) for which this is possible is (1, 1), this means that (1, 1) is the only "unit" in Z2 x Z.

Does this make sense to you?

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of finding all units in a given ring?

The purpose of finding all units in a given ring is to identify the elements that have a multiplicative inverse within the ring. These units are important because they allow for division, which is not always possible in every ring.

2. How do you determine if an element is a unit in a given ring?

To determine if an element is a unit in a given ring, you must check if it has a multiplicative inverse within the ring. This can be done by multiplying the element with every other element in the ring and seeing if the result is equal to the identity element, which is usually denoted as 1.

3. What are some examples of units in a given ring?

Some examples of units in a given ring include the integers within the ring of integers, the real numbers within the ring of real numbers, and the complex numbers within the ring of complex numbers. In these cases, the units are all elements that have a multiplicative inverse, such as 1, -1, and any non-zero number.

4. Can a ring have more than one unit?

Yes, a ring can have more than one unit. In fact, most rings have multiple units. For example, in the ring of integers, both 1 and -1 are units. In the ring of real numbers, all non-zero numbers are units.

5. How does finding all units in a given ring relate to other concepts in mathematics?

Finding all units in a given ring is related to other concepts in mathematics such as divisibility and prime numbers. In a ring, an element is considered a unit if it is divisible by all other elements in the ring. This is similar to how prime numbers have no factors other than 1 and themselves, making them units in the ring of integers. Additionally, the concept of units is also related to the concept of fields, which are rings where every non-zero element is a unit.