Find amount of work necessary to extra 4000J from a body

• Thread starter mahdert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Work
In summary, the minimum amount of work required to extract 4000 J of heat from a body at 0 deg F, when the temperature of the environment is 100 deg F is 795 J. This is determined by the Carnot cycle formula, where the amount of energy and entropy removed from the cold reservoir is equal to the amount of entropy added to the hot reservoir.
mahdert

Homework Statement

Find the minimum amount of work required to extract 4000 J of heat from a body at 0 deg F, when the temprature of the environment is 100 deg F.

Homework Equations

W = (1 - t2/t1) * Q1

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is 1072 J
instructor says 870.19, how??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi mahdert, welcome to PF. According to your equation, it should take the same amount of work to transfer heat between reservoirs at 0K and 100K as it would for reservoirs at 0K and 200K. So right away it's clear that this is the wrong equation; you can't get transfer any hear from a reservoir at 0K.

Also, note the units.

The unit for the temperatures, you mean. I expressed them in Farenheits (deg F)..That will be t1 = 310.92 K and t2=255.37 K. Since heat is being drawn from a body with a lower temperature than the resevour, we need to supply work. The minimum amount of work would be what we would need for a carnot cycle. And I believe that is the correct formula. The answer I got now is 795 J.

Last edited:

[itex]0^\circ\mathrm{F}\neq 273\,\mathrm{K}[/itex], and it's not the correct formula. Think of it this way: you're removing [itex]Q[/itex] amount of energy and [itex]Q/T_2[/itex] amount of entropy from the cold reservoir, and all the entropy goes into the hot reservoir: [itex](Q+W)/T_1[/itex]. At best (maximum efficiency in a Carnot cycle), these entropy amounts are equal. Solve for [itex]W[/itex].

EDIT: OK, I see you caught the temperature error.

thanks for the explanation.. i understand now..

Great!

Related to Find amount of work necessary to extra 4000J from a body

What does "work" mean in this context?

In physics, work is defined as the product of force and distance. It is the amount of energy transferred to or from an object by a force acting on it.

How do you calculate the amount of work necessary to extract 4000J from a body?

The amount of work can be calculated using the equation W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. In this case, the force required to extract 4000J from a body would depend on the specific situation and properties of the body.

What factors affect the amount of work required to extract 4000J from a body?

The main factors that affect the amount of work required include the mass and initial velocity of the body, the force applied, and the distance over which the force is applied.

Can the amount of work required to extract 4000J from a body be negative?

No, work is defined as a transfer of energy, so it cannot be negative. However, the direction of the work can be negative if the force and displacement are in opposite directions.

What are some real-life examples of extracting energy from a body?

One example could be lifting a heavy object off the ground, where the force applied is equal to the weight of the object and the distance is the height it is lifted. Another example could be pedaling a bike, where the force applied by the legs over a distance generates energy to move the bike forward.