1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find atomic number from spectral lines

1. Jan 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An atom or ion with one electron has energy levels [itex]E_n=-A/n^2[/itex]. Tw neighboring lines in its spectrum at room temperature have wavelengths [itex]\lambda_1=97.5[/itex] nm and [itex]\lambda_2=102.8[/itex] nm. (Note that [itex]hc=1.240\times 10^{-6}[/itex] eV m).

(a)What is the constant A?
    (b) Identify the atom.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that it must be either Hydrogen (line n=3 and n=4 of the Lyman series) or Li++ (which should have frequencies very close to those of the Hydrogen. However, this is a guess and I don't know how to actually prove that.

Any idea?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Which transition in Li2+ are you considering?

4. Jan 21, 2014 #3
    Actually I don't know. I suppose the same ones, but I'm not sure at all.

5. Jan 21, 2014 #4
    To find A, did you consider using the deBroglie relation?

6. Jan 22, 2014 #5

DrClaude

Do you know the formula that gives the energy levels of hydrogenic atoms?

7. Jan 22, 2014 #6
    It is written in the text of the problem. It's the same but with A=13.6 eV.

8. Jan 22, 2014 #7

DrClaude

No it's not. ##A = 13.6\ \mathrm{eV}## for hydrogen, but not for Li2+. You have a nucleus with three times the charge: surely the Coulomb attraction must be greater.

9. Jan 22, 2014 #8
    You are right. We have an extra factor of [itex]Z^2[/itex] for Hydrogen-like atoms. However, I don't think this solve the problem. What do you suggest?

10. Jan 23, 2014 #9

DrClaude

I would write the Rydberg formula for each transition, take the difference between the two, and see if, with the value of ##A## for an atom other than hydrogen, it is possible to get two consecutive levels ##n## and ##n+1## to produce those wavelengths.

11. Jan 23, 2014 #10
    That's probably the best thing to do. The point is that you end up with a cubic equation in n, which is quite horrible. However, in principle is exactly solvable so it is probably the right answer. :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted