Find atomic number from spectral lines

In summary, the atom has energy levels E_n=-A/n^2. The neighboring lines in its spectrum at room temperature have wavelengths \lambda_1=97.5 nm and \lambda_2=102.8 nm.
Einj

Homework Statement

An atom or ion with one electron has energy levels [itex]E_n=-A/n^2[/itex]. Tw neighboring lines in its spectrum at room temperature have wavelengths [itex]\lambda_1=97.5[/itex] nm and [itex]\lambda_2=102.8[/itex] nm. (Note that [itex]hc=1.240\times 10^{-6}[/itex] eV m).

(a)What is the constant A?
(b) Identify the atom.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that it must be either Hydrogen (line n=3 and n=4 of the Lyman series) or Li++ (which should have frequencies very close to those of the Hydrogen. However, this is a guess and I don't know how to actually prove that.

Any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Einj said:
I know that it must be either Hydrogen (line n=3 and n=4 of the Lyman series) or Li++ (which should have frequencies very close to those of the Hydrogen.
Which transition in Li2+ are you considering?

Actually I don't know. I suppose the same ones, but I'm not sure at all.

To find A, did you consider using the deBroglie relation?

Einj said:
Actually I don't know. I suppose the same ones, but I'm not sure at all.

Do you know the formula that gives the energy levels of hydrogenic atoms?

DrClaude said:
Do you know the formula that gives the energy levels of hydrogenic atoms?
It is written in the text of the problem. It's the same but with A=13.6 eV.

Einj said:
It is written in the text of the problem. It's the same but with A=13.6 eV.
No it's not. ##A = 13.6\ \mathrm{eV}## for hydrogen, but not for Li2+. You have a nucleus with three times the charge: surely the Coulomb attraction must be greater.

You are right. We have an extra factor of [itex]Z^2[/itex] for Hydrogen-like atoms. However, I don't think this solve the problem. What do you suggest?

I would write the Rydberg formula for each transition, take the difference between the two, and see if, with the value of ##A## for an atom other than hydrogen, it is possible to get two consecutive levels ##n## and ##n+1## to produce those wavelengths.

That's probably the best thing to do. The point is that you end up with a cubic equation in n, which is quite horrible. However, in principle is exactly solvable so it is probably the right answer. :D

1. What is a spectral line?

A spectral line is a specific wavelength of light emitted or absorbed by an atom, molecule, or ion. These lines are unique to each element and can be used to identify the element and its properties.

2. How can spectral lines be used to find the atomic number of an element?

Each element has a unique set of spectral lines that correspond to its atomic structure. By analyzing the wavelengths of the lines, scientists can determine the element's atomic number, or the number of protons in its nucleus.

3. Is it possible to find the atomic number of an element using only one spectral line?

No, it is not possible to determine the atomic number of an element using only one spectral line. Multiple lines are needed to accurately determine the atomic number and identify the element.

4. How does the number of protons in an element's nucleus affect its spectral lines?

The number of protons in an element's nucleus determines its atomic number, which in turn determines the energy levels and electron configuration of the element. This directly affects the wavelengths of the spectral lines emitted or absorbed by the element.

5. Can the atomic number be determined from any type of spectral line?

Yes, the atomic number can be determined from any type of spectral line, whether it is an emission line (when an electron moves from a higher energy level to a lower one) or an absorption line (when an electron moves from a lower energy level to a higher one).