Find average velocity of a sphere which expands and moves

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
101 replies · 10K views
Please haruspex
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Quarlep said:
Why don't you guys just not writing the equation
I don't understand your question. What is it you want me to do? Seemed to me you had your answer.
 
Thats answer describes ring shell I want sphere shell.Whatever you told I can't find the solution cause I am still learning integral and I don't get any classic mechanic lesson (this is not a very hard question ( ring shell))but I don't know any idea about sphere coordinate system and the other things.You tried to tell me answer you want to help me but I am in high school and I am not learning so much detail.I got this project cause I thought I can do that.But I stucked here and I lost a week so I need full equation of sphere kinetic eneregy.I need to move on
 
Quarlep said:
Thats answer describes ring shell I want sphere shell.
The equation you got by combining two diametrically opposite points solves both. The dependence on theta canceled out, making the integrand a constant for a given r. Integration is then just a matter of multiplying by the mass - you no longer care whether it's a spherical shell or a ring. All that matters is that it can be expressed as pairs of opposite points, all at the same radius.
 
This must be the true answer.It may be complicated but it must be true.
 
Attachments
  • 1430207234359.jpg
    1430207234359.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 396
Quarlep said:
This must be the true answer.It may be complicated but it must be true.
I believe that is the correct double integral for a spherical shell, and as before it will simplify greatly such that the trig terms will obviously vanish when integrated.
(But it isn't any more correct than the much simpler symmetry approach.)
 
I ll do the integration and I ll going to tell the answer
 
Quarlep said:
I find a stupid answer m((v')^2+r^2+2( π)^2
I had trouble reading your attachment at post #65. In view of what you say now, I studied it again, and it looks like you have r where I would expect to see v.
 
Ok yeah yeah you are right.Is that all thing somy equatipn is true If I change r to v ?
 
Quarlep said:
Ok yeah yeah you are right.Is that all thing somy equatipn is true If I change r to v ?
There are some more errors. The m at the front should be ##\rho r^2##, where ##\rho## is the density. There should be a factor ##\sin(\theta)## inside the integral (or maybe it's ##\sin(\theta)##, whichever goes from 0 to ##\pi##). This comes from the polar expression for an area element.
 
Last edited:
Quarlep said:
ρr2((v')2+v^2+2π^2)+ integral sinθ from 0 to π
Better, but that 2π^2 term shouldn't be there. Previously, every term had a factor of either v or v', so that should remain true. Instead, I would expect to see a factor π throughout. Please post all your steps.
 
Quarlep said:
Are you there my friend
We're in different timezones, I'm sure. But I did reply to your post #72. Can you not see my reply?
 
haruspex said:
There are some more errors. The m at the front should be ##rho r^2##, where ##rho## is the density. There should be a factor ##\sin(\theta)## inside the integral (or maybe it's ##\sin(\theta)##, whichever goes from 0 to ##\pi##). This comes from the polar expression for an area element.

Hi I see your post but I couldn't answer cause I am in holiday now and here time is 07:20 am. In this post you said ##\sin(\theta)## will be inside the integral but theta goes 0 to pi so here I am confused and I ll going to write pr^2 instead of m ?
 
Quarlep said:
Hi I see your post but I couldn't answer cause I am in holiday now and here time is 07:20 am. In this post you said ##\sin(\theta)## will be inside the integral but theta goes 0 to pi so here I am confused and I ll going to write pr^2 instead of m ?
In your integrand you have trig functions of phi and theta. But you must have put the area element as ##m d\theta d\phi##. The area element should have been ##\rho r^2 \sin(\theta)d\theta\phi##. After simplifying the rest of the integrand, you still have one term left that has trig functions in it. You must multiply the sin from the element with this before integrating it.
This will be a lot easier to explain if you post all your steps as typed equations. Please stop posting images of working, they're too hard to read and too hard to make comments about.
 
I made a mistake in there.Can you write the correct one and send me like this url then I can work on it
 
Quarlep said:
http://www.HostMath.com/Show.aspx?IsAsc=True&Code=\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}(v\cos\theta\sin\phi+v')^2+(v\sin\theta\sin\phi)^2+(v\cos\phi)^2+\int_{0}^{\pi}pr^2\sin\thetad\theta\phi look
##\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}(v\cos\theta\sin\phi+v')^2+(v\sin\theta\sin\phi)^2+(v\cos\phi)^2+\int_{0}^{\pi}pr^2\sin\theta d\theta\phi##
That equation makes no sense syntactically. It should read
##\int_{\theta=0}^{\pi}\int_{\phi=0}^{2\pi}((v\cos\theta\sin\phi+v')^2+(v\sin\theta\sin\phi)^2+(v\cos\phi)^2)\rho r^2\sin\theta d\theta d\phi##
 
Yeah I noticed that pr^2 must be inside the integral I noticed it after I wrote the equation
 
Can you check the integral again I think there's a wrong something
 
Quarlep said:
Can you check the integral again I think there's a wrong something
Wrong in my version? I don't see anything - please be more specific.
 
there's two integral first one belongs theta second phi but then end you wrote d theta phi
 
Quarlep said:
there's two integral first one belongs theta second phi but then end you wrote d theta phi
It's a double integral. Have you not dealt with double integrals before?