Find average velocity of a sphere which expands and moves

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
101 replies · 10K views
Here
 
Attachments
  • 14299454169931892956888.jpg
    14299454169931892956888.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
Quarlep said:
Here
Yes, that's right for an expanding ring. A spherical shell is the same except that you need a double integral.
Let me give you a start on that. Are you familiar with Archimedes' proof of the area of a sphere?
 
Quarlep said:
No
He effectively invented calculus. He considered a cylinder enclosing the sphere, same radius, and a thin slice through the sphere cutting the cylinder perpendicularly to its axis. By geometry, he showed that the area of cylinder within the slice was (in the limit) the same as the area of sphere surface within the slice.
Thus, if we consider a band around the sphere between an angle ##\theta## and ##\theta+d\theta## to the cylinder's axis, its surface area is ##2 \pi r \sin(\theta)d\theta##.
But because that band is not all moving in the same direction in your problem, we need to do an integral just to get the KE of that band. Have a go at that.
 
Quarlep said:
I didnt understand.
Take an element on the shell in spherical polar co-ordinates. Write out its KE. If theta is the angle to the line of movement of the shell's mass centre, integrate in a band of width ##rd\theta## for ##\phi## from 0 to ##2\pi##.
 
I have no idea how did I get this equation but here it is
 
Attachments
  • 20150425_133716.jpg
    20150425_133716.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 407
Quarlep said:
I have no idea how did I get this equation but here it is
You can make it simpler by recognising that the KE only depends on theta, not phi.
 
haruspex said:
You can make it simpler by recognising that the KE only depends on theta, not phi.

Ok, I ll make it simpler but my equation is full correct isn't it ? No mistake Even multiply integral with 2 ...
 
Quarlep said:
Ok, I ll make it simpler but my equation is full correct isn't it ? No mistake Even multiply integral with 2 ...
Not really. Not sure what your ##v_{\theta}## and ##v_{\phi}## terms are. If they're vectors, they should all be inside the first squared term with v' and vr. I.e. the overall velocity is the sum of four vectors, v' and three velocities relative to v'. But then ##v_{\theta}## and ##v_{\phi}## would both be zero. If they're not vectors, maybe you intend them as the scalar magnitudes of those vectors, in which case the same comment applies.
So in your equation, throw those two away and expand the remaining squared term. Two of the resulting terms will be independent of theta and phi. The third one, the dot product of v' and vr, will be a function of theta. The integral is then easy.
 
Spherical coordinates make this way more complicated.

There is a nice theorem about the kinetic energy of a system if you know the kinetic energy in its center of mass system and the velocity of this center of mass. Both are easy to find here.
If you don't want to use this theorem, you can split the sphere into two parts and derive a special case of the theorem for this sphere.
 
mfb said:
There is a nice theorem about the kinetic energy of a system if you know the kinetic energy in its center of mass system and the velocity of this center of mass. Both are easy to find here.
If you don't want to use this theorem, you can split the sphere into two parts and derive a special case of the theorem for this sphere.
Sure, but the challenge is to resolve the apparent contradiction that Quarlep came up with by using integration methods.
I gave Quarlep an easy way using symmetry, but he/she seems to want to do it using a more general approach. Certainly it looks like there is merit in Quarlep having a work-out in integration.
 
I tried to to use symmetry but again I don't know how to do it.I am worling on
 
Quarlep said:
I tried to to use symmetry but again I don't know how to do it.I am worling on
As I said, just add the KEs of two diametrically opposite points in the shell.
 
Quarlep said:
Yeah you know that I used it find KE of ring shell
Do you mean in post #31? I didn't realize that's what you had attempted to do there. If it is, you didn't do it right. The two cos terms should have opposite signs and cancel.
 
Quarlep said:
there's one cos isn't it.Or I couldn't see
The sign of the cos term for one point will be opposite to that on the diametrically opposite point.
You should have ##(v'+v_r\cos(\theta))^2+(v'-v_r\cos(\theta))^2##, plus the y direction terms.
 
Is this true
 
Attachments
  • 1430031751885-1497074815.jpg
    1430031751885-1497074815.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 447
Quarlep said:
Is this true
Almost. The m/2 should be a factor of the whole, and the factor 2 you have in front only applies to the sin term.
 
Ok,now
 
Attachments
  • 1430032924445-1497074815.jpg
    1430032924445-1497074815.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 412
You told me smthing in post 41 but I don't understand it.Thats my fault.I am in high school and my physics is not enough.Thank you very much for support.
 
Here again
 
Attachments
  • 1430033889003-1497074815.jpg
    1430033889003-1497074815.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 417
Quarlep said:
Ok,now
Yes, that's good, but you don't need to do an integral at all this way. When you expand the terms, all references to theta should disappear, so all the terms are constants.
 
Ok,I did it and I found what I found before.
In post 31 I guess m(v^2+v'^2)
 
Quarlep said:
Ok,I did it and I found what I found before.
You mean, you got the same result as integrating around a circle? Good.