Find currents and voltages - 2 batteries & 3 resistors

In summary, we are given values for three resistors and are asked to find the currents and voltages across each resistor. Using Kirchhoff's loop and junction laws, we can find the values for I1, I2, and I3. However, there is some confusion about the introduction of I4 in one of the loops. It is eventually resolved and we are able to find all the required values.
kamhogo

Homework Statement

upload_2016-4-20_22-13-18.png

Find I1, I2, I3 as well as the voltages across each resistor.

R1= 50 ohms
R2= 220 ohms
R3= 150 ohms

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's loop law
Kirchhoff's junction law

The Attempt at a Solution

Loop 1: Starting from the negative terminal of the 10V battery (ccw)

10V - 50 (I1) - 220 (I2) = 0

Loop 2: Starting from junction a (ccw). Note I added an I4 through R3 to try and make things easier for me to visualize .

- 150 (I4) + 5 V + 0 (I3) + 220 (I2) = 0

Junction law
I1 = I2 + I4Loop 1
10V - 50 I2 - 50 I4 - 220 I2 =0
10V - 270 I2 - 50 I4 = 0

Loop 2
I2= (150 I4 - 5 V )/220 = 0.682 I4 - 0.0227 A

Loop 1
10V - 270 (0.682 I4 - 0.0227 A) - 50 I4 = 0
- 234.14 I4 = -16. 129
I4 = 0.069 A
I2= 0.024 A
I1= 0.093 A
I3 = ??

Voltages across :
R1 ==> 4.65 V
R2 ==> 5.28 V
R3 ==> 10.35 VI can't find I3. Is it possible that R2 "receives" a portion of I3 downstream (...I5. ...) in addition to having I2 go through R2 it upstream? ? Or maybe I3 is infinitely big (ideal wire model, goes from the positive terminal of the 5V battery and then directly to the negative terminal of the 10V battery)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know why you've introduced I4. The branch has two components in series, so they MUST carry the same current, and that's already labelled I3.

upload_2016-4-20_22-23-20.png

gneill said:
I don't know why you've introduced I4. The branch has two components in series, so they MUST carry the same current, and that's already labelled I3.Oooh. I see it now. Thanks!

View attachment 99436

Resolved.

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the current in a circuit with 2 batteries and 3 resistors?

To calculate the current in a circuit with 2 batteries and 3 resistors, you can use Ohm's Law which states that current (I) equals the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R), or I=V/R. First, calculate the total resistance of the circuit by adding the resistances of each resistor. Then, use the total resistance and the voltage of the batteries to calculate the current.

2. Can I use Kirchhoff's laws to find the currents and voltages in this circuit?

Yes, you can use Kirchhoff's laws to find the currents and voltages in this circuit. Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the sum of the currents entering a junction in a circuit must equal the sum of the currents leaving the junction. Kirchhoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of the voltage sources in that loop.

3. How do I determine the direction of current flow in this circuit?

The direction of current flow in a circuit can be determined by the direction of the voltage sources and the resistance of the circuit. Current always flows from the positive terminal of a battery to the negative terminal, and it flows through the path of least resistance. So, if the voltage sources are connected in series, the current will flow in the same direction. If the voltage sources are connected in parallel, then the current will split and flow in different directions.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, all of the components are connected in a single loop and the current is the same throughout the circuit. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches and the current splits and flows through each branch. The voltage is the same across each component in a parallel circuit, but the total current is the sum of the currents in each branch.

5. How do I calculate the voltage drop across each resistor in this circuit?

To calculate the voltage drop across each resistor in a circuit with 2 batteries and 3 resistors, you can use Ohm's Law. First, calculate the total resistance of the circuit by adding the resistances of each resistor. Then, use the total resistance and the current in the circuit to calculate the voltage drop across each resistor. The voltage drop across each resistor will depend on the individual resistance values and the current flowing through each resistor.