1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find Det (C) knowing Det(A) and Det(B)

1. Mar 20, 2010 #1
    Hi, right now I have two 3x3 matrices with letter entries, I know the determinant of A and the determinant of B, and I am given a matrix C for which I have to find the determinant for. Right now I am expressing matrix C as a combination of A and B, but what happens to the determinant when I add matrices A and B together?

azgej6.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One of the rows of C is a linear combination of two vectors. det is linear in the row entries, right?

4. Mar 20, 2010 #3
    Well all the rows in C are a linear combination of vectors in A and B.

5. Mar 20, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm referring to the second row being a sum of two vectors.

6. Mar 20, 2010 #5
    Ok, that's true, but how does that help me in finding the new determinant? I still have to know what happens when I add the matrices together, unless you mean something else?

7. Mar 20, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I mean that if the letters A, B, C, and D are row vectors then det(A,B+D,C)=det(A,B,C)+det(A,D,C). det is linear in the row vectors.

8. Mar 20, 2010 #7
    Ah I didn't know you can do that :S...thanks!

9. Mar 20, 2010 #8
    But wait I don't understand how that works...why do the B and D add but nothing else...isn't this sort of like saying det(A+B)=det(A)+det(B) which isn't true?

10. Mar 20, 2010 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it's not the same thing. I'm using that det is a multilinear function of it's rows (or columns). It's a fundamental property of the determinant. Try and find it in your book. It's important.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook