Find Det (C) knowing Det(A) and Det(B)

• Thread starter mmmboh
  • Start date
In summary, when you add matrices A and B together, the determinant of C is the sum of the determinants of the two matrices.
mmmboh
Hi, right now I have two 3x3 matrices with letter entries, I know the determinant of A and the determinant of B, and I am given a matrix C for which I have to find the determinant for. Right now I am expressing matrix C as a combination of A and B, but what happens to the determinant when I add matrices A and B together?

azgej6.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the rows of C is a linear combination of two vectors. det is linear in the row entries, right?

Well all the rows in C are a linear combination of vectors in A and B.

mmmboh said:
Well all the rows in C are a linear combination of vectors in A and B.

I'm referring to the second row being a sum of two vectors.

Ok, that's true, but how does that help me in finding the new determinant? I still have to know what happens when I add the matrices together, unless you mean something else?

I mean that if the letters A, B, C, and D are row vectors then det(A,B+D,C)=det(A,B,C)+det(A,D,C). det is linear in the row vectors.

Ah I didn't know you can do that :S...thanks!

But wait I don't understand how that works...why do the B and D add but nothing else...isn't this sort of like saying det(A+B)=det(A)+det(B) which isn't true?

mmmboh said:
But wait I don't understand how that works...why do the B and D add but nothing else...isn't this sort of like saying det(A+B)=det(A)+det(B) which isn't true?

No, it's not the same thing. I'm using that det is a multilinear function of it's rows (or columns). It's a fundamental property of the determinant. Try and find it in your book. It's important.

What is the formula for finding the determinant of C?

The formula for finding the determinant of C is det(C) = det(A) * det(B).

Can the determinant of C be negative?

Yes, the determinant of C can be negative if either det(A) or det(B) is negative.

Can I find the determinant of C if I only know the determinants of A and B?

Yes, you can find the determinant of C using the formula det(C) = det(A) * det(B).

What if the matrices A and B are not square matrices?

If A and B are not square matrices, then their determinants cannot be calculated and therefore the determinant of C cannot be found.

Is there a way to find the determinant of C without knowing the determinants of A and B?

No, in order to find the determinant of C, you must know the determinants of both A and B as they are used in the formula det(C) = det(A) * det(B).