Find Differential Equation with This Solution

In summary: OK, I will. Thank you very much for your help, glad to know I'm finally getting this.In summary, to find a differential equation with the solution y(x) = (x + C)3, differentiate the solution and find a way to express x+C in terms of y(x). For the solution y(x) = Cx^3, the differential equation is \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{3\times y}{x}. This can be solved by separating variables and solving for y.
AATroop
1. Find a differential equation with the solution y(x) = (x + C)3

The answer cannot contain C)

2. There are no relevant equations.

3. I'm not entirely sure how to do this; I understand that a differential equation has multiple solutions, but for some reason I'm lost on how to find the equation from the solution itself.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AATroop said:
1. Find a differential equation with the solution y(x) = (x + C)3

The answer cannot contain C)

2. There are no relevant equations.

3. I'm not entirely sure how to do this; I understand that a differential equation has multiple solutions, but for some reason I'm lost on how to find the equation from the solution itself.

Differentiate the solution. See if you can find a way to express x+C in terms of y(x).

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
Differentiate the solution. See if you can find a way to express x+C in terms of y(x).

Thanks for helping me. I was working on it and I reached [itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = 3\times y^{2/3}[/itex]. I found the derivative and basically just substituted.

AATroop said:
Thanks for helping me. I was working on it and I reached [itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = 3\times y^{2/3}[/itex]. I found the derivative and basically just substituted.

And that is exactly correct. If you solve that by separation of variables, you'll get y=(x+C)^3, yes? It's worth a quick check.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
And that is exactly correct. If you solve that by separation of variables, you'll get y=(x+C)^3, yes? It's worth a quick check.

Yes, I do. Awesome. Hey, if you don't mind, could you just briefly look over the next question? It's the same format, but y(x) = [itex]Cx^3[/itex] and I concluded [itex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{3\times y}{x} [/itex]. I just want to make sure that one is correct because the next few questions rely on it.

Thanks again.

AATroop said:
Yes, I do. Awesome. Hey, if you don't mind, could you just briefly look over the next question? It's the same format, but y(x) = [itex]Cx^3[/itex] and I concluded [itex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{3\times y}{x} [/itex]. I just want to make sure that one is correct because the next few questions rely on it.

Thanks again.

You're welcome. Yes, that's a correct form. Check it the same way as the last one. Separate variables and solve it.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
You're welcome. Yes, that's a correct form. Check it the same way as the last one. Separate variables and solve it.

OK, I will. Thank you very much for your help, glad to know I'm finally getting this.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of differential calculus to find the rate of change of a variable.

2. How do you find a differential equation with a given solution?

To find a differential equation with a given solution, you first need to determine the order of the differential equation. Then, you can use the given solution to find the derivatives of the function. Finally, substitute the derivatives into the differential equation and solve for any unknown constants.

3. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and stochastic differential equations. Ordinary differential equations involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Stochastic differential equations involve randomness in the system.

4. What is the importance of solving differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model various physical, biological, and economic phenomena. Solving these equations allows us to make predictions, understand the behavior of the system, and make informed decisions in various fields of science and engineering.

5. What are some common methods for solving differential equations?

Some common methods for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, integration factors, and series solutions. Depending on the type and complexity of the equation, different methods may be more suitable for finding a solution.