Find dy/dx and d^2y/dx^2 for a spiral of cornu in funtion of t

• Thread starter tifa8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spiral
In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem on calculus involving curves and motion on curves. The problem involves finding the length of a spiral cornu defined by parametric equations and reparametrizing the curve. The conversation also discusses finding the derivative and second derivative of the curve, as well as its curvature. The solution involves using chain rules, differentiation, and verifying the result using different formulas.
tifa8
Hello,
I need help for this problem on my calculus chapter curves and motion on curves

Homework Statement

a) for the spiral cornu defined by the parametric equations
x=[tex]\int[/tex]cos(pi*u[tex]^{2}[/tex]/2)du and

y=[tex]\int[/tex] sin(pi*u[tex]^{2}[/tex]/2)du

obtain the length of the curve s(t) from 0 to t and hence reparametrize the curve in term of s

b)Obtain dy/dx, d[tex]^{2}[/tex]y/dx[tex]^{2}[/tex] and k the curvature.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I have found that ds/dt =1 thus s(t)=t and t(s)=s (chain rules)

b) using chain rules,
dy/dx=dy/dt *dt/dx=(dy/dt)/(dx/dt)= sin(pi*t[tex]^{2}[/tex]/2)/cos(pi*t[tex]^{2}[/tex]/2)=Tan(pi*t[tex]^{2}[/tex]/2)

and
d[tex]^{2}[/tex]y/dx[tex]^{2}[/tex]=pi*t/cos[tex]^{2}[/tex](pi*t[tex]^{2}[/tex]/2)
by differentiating dy/dx a second time

However I can't seem to find K

My first attempt was by using K=[tex]\left\|[/tex]acceleration x velocity[tex]\left\|[/tex]/speed[tex]^{3}[/tex]

I have found K=pi

Then to verify that i used the second formula i have which is
k=(d[tex]^{2}[/tex]y/dx[tex]^{2}[/tex])/(1+(dy/dx)[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{3/2}[/tex]

which gave me k= pi*t*abs(cos(pi*t[tex]^{2}[/tex]/2))

Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
nobody ?

1. What is a spiral of cornu?

A spiral of cornu, also known as a Cornu spiral or clothoid, is a type of curve that resembles a spiral and is commonly used in the field of mathematics and physics.

2. How is dy/dx calculated for a spiral of cornu?

The derivative dy/dx for a spiral of cornu can be calculated using the equation: dy/dx = cos(t^2), where t is the parameter of the spiral.

3. What does dy/dx represent in a spiral of cornu?

Dy/dx represents the rate of change of the y-coordinate with respect to the x-coordinate along the spiral of cornu. This is also known as the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the curve.

4. How is d^2y/dx^2 calculated for a spiral of cornu?

The second derivative d^2y/dx^2 for a spiral of cornu can be calculated using the equation: d^2y/dx^2 = -2tsin(t^2), where t is the parameter of the spiral. This represents the rate of change of the slope of the tangent line along the curve.

5. What is the significance of d^2y/dx^2 in a spiral of cornu?

D^2y/dx^2 represents the curvature of the spiral of cornu at a specific point on the curve. It can be used to determine the concavity of the curve and to analyze the behavior of the spiral at different points.