Find Exponential Equation from data points

In summary, to find the exponential equation from data points, you will need to plot the points on a graph and determine if they form a straight line on a logarithmic scale. This can be done using the equation y = ab^x, where a is the y-intercept and b is the base of the exponential function. At least three data points are needed to accurately find the equation, but using more data points will result in a more precise equation. If the data points do not form a straight line on a logarithmic scale, then an exponential equation may not accurately represent the relationship between the variables and alternative methods should be considered. Calculators and software can be used to find the equation, but it is important to understand the process and
Ocasta
Hi guys I'm helping my girlfriend with her Calc 1 homework and we seem to be stuck on this one problem. Am I missing something obvious?

Homework Statement

Problem.png

Homework Equations

[itex]
P = P_0 a^t
[/itex]

[itex]
\frac{5}{20} = \frac{P_0 a^1}{P_0 a^{-1}}
[/itex]

[itex]
\frac{1}{4} = a^2
[/itex]

[itex]
a = \frac{1}{2}
[/itex]

[itex]
5 = P_0 (1/2)^1
[/itex]

[itex]
P_0 = 10
[/itex]

[itex]
P(t) = 10 (1/2)^t
[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
... and a few seconds after I posted this, I realized that we're using the wrong variable. X instead of t, and it works.

Rage! Rage factorial
smiley-bangheadonwall.gif

1. How do I find the exponential equation from data points?

To find the exponential equation from data points, you will need to plot the points on a graph and determine if they form a straight line when plotted on a logarithmic scale. If they do, then you can use the equation y = ab^x, where a is the y-intercept and b is the base of the exponential function, to find the equation.

2. Can I use any three data points to find the exponential equation?

No, you will need at least three data points that form a straight line on a logarithmic scale in order to accurately find the exponential equation. Using more data points will result in a more precise equation.

3. What if my data points do not form a straight line on a logarithmic scale?

If your data points do not form a straight line on a logarithmic scale, then an exponential equation may not accurately represent the relationship between the variables. In this case, you may need to use a different type of equation or consider other factors that may be impacting the relationship.

4. Can I use a calculator or software to find the exponential equation?

Yes, there are many calculators and software programs that can help you find the exponential equation from data points. However, it is important to understand the process and steps involved in order to ensure accurate results.

5. Can an exponential equation be used to predict future data points?

Yes, an exponential equation can be used to predict future data points within a certain range. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the predictions will depend on the quality of the data and the assumptions made in creating the equation.