Temperature as a function of 3 variables....

In summary, this conversation on Physics Forums discusses a math homework problem involving a falcon flying towards a specific point and experiencing changes in temperature. The conversation includes a solution to the problem, as well as a discussion on finding the direction in which the falcon should fly to experience the largest positive rate of change in temperature. The expert summarizer also includes the equations used to solve the problem, as well as the direction that the falcon should fly in to experience no change in temperature.
TheSodesa
Mod note: moved from non-HW forum section
Apparently doing math homework on Physics Forums helps me think more clearly. The d-part of this question gave me a headache, and I already wrote all of this LaTeX code on the homework side of this site, so I figured I'd post it even though I solved it.

Parts a-c might have small mistakes as well, but duck it, I'm done with this question.

1. Homework Statement

Let [itex]T(x,y,z) = 10+xy+xz+yz[/itex]. A falcon is at the point [itex]P_0 = (x_0, y_0, z_0) = (3,2,1)[/itex].

a) What is the temperature at the point [itex]P_0[/itex].
b) What is the instantaneous rate of change of temperature experienced by the falcon as it flies towards the point [itex]P_1 = (2,4,4)[/itex]
c) In what direction should the falcon fly in if it wanted to experience the largest (positive) rate of change in temperature?
d) Give a direction in which the temperature does not change (there are infinitely many).

Homework Equations

The Gradient: [tex]\nabla T(P)= (\frac{\partial T}{\partial x},\frac{\partial T}{\partial y},\frac{\partial T}{\partial z})[/tex]

Directional derivative: [tex]D_u T(P) = \nabla T(P) \cdot \hat{u}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To start with, [itex]\nabla T(P_0)= (\frac{\partial T}{\partial x_0},\frac{\partial T}{\partial y_0},\frac{\partial T}{\partial z_0}) = (y_0+z_0, x_0+z_0, x_0+y_0) = (3, 4, 5)[/itex]

a) Simply plug in the values of x,y and z to get [itex]T(P_0) = 21[/itex]

b) Here
[tex]
\vec{u} = P_1 - P_0 = (2,4,4) - (3,2,1) = (-1,2,3)
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\hat{u} = \frac{\vec{u}}{||\vec{u}||} = \frac{(-1, 2, 3)}{\sqrt{1^2 + 2^2 + 3^3}} = \frac{(-1, 2, 3)}{ \sqrt{14} }
[/tex]

Therefore the directional derivative:

[tex]
D_u T(P_0) = \nabla T(P_0) \cdot \hat{u} = (3, 4, 5) \cdot \frac{(-1, 2, 3) }{ \sqrt{14} } = \frac{20}{\sqrt{14}}
[/tex]

c) In the direction of the gradient.

Here ##\hat{u} = \frac{\nabla T(P_0)}{||\nabla T(P_0)||} = \frac{1}{5 \sqrt{2}}(3,4,5)##.

Therefore

[tex]
D_u T(P_0) = \nabla T(P_0) \cdot \hat{u} = (3,4,5) \cdot (\frac{3}{5 \sqrt{2}},\frac{4}{5 \sqrt{2}},\frac{5}{5 \sqrt{2}}) = \frac{9}{5 \sqrt{2}} + \frac{16}{5 \sqrt{2}} + \frac{25}{5 \sqrt{2}} =\frac{10}{\sqrt{2}}
[/tex]

d) This is where I ran into trouble. I knew that in the direction of the level curve (if such a thing exists in 4D), the directional derivative is equal to 0. Using this fact and the fact that ##||\hat{u}|| = 1##, I get two seemingly messy equations, that I was initially unable to solve:

If we mark ##\hat{u} = (x,y,z)##
[tex]
D_u T(P_0) = \nabla T(P_0) \cdot \hat{u} = 3x+4y+5z = 0
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2} = 1 \iff x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1
[/tex]
More clearly:

\begin{cases}
3x+4y+5z = 0 \ || \ solve \ for \ z\\
x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1
\end{cases}

\begin{cases}
z = \frac{1}{5}(-3x - 4y) \\
x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1 \ || \ Substitute \ z \ here
\end{cases}

\begin{cases}
x^2 + y^2 + (\frac{1}{5}(-3x - 4y))^2 = 1 \ || \ Multiply\ (-3x - 4y))^2
\end{cases}

\begin{cases}
x^2 + y^2 + \frac{1}{25}(9x^2 + 24xy + 16y^2) = 1 \ || \ \cdot 25
\end{cases}

\begin{cases}
25x^2 + 25y^2 + (9x^2 + 24xy + 16y^2) = 25
\end{cases}

\begin{cases}
34x^2 + 24xy + 41y^2 = 25 \iff 34x^2 + 24xy + 41y^2 -25 = 0 \ || \ Solve \ for \ x
\end{cases}

[tex]x = \frac {-24y \pm \sqrt{(24y)^2 - 4(34)(41y^2 - 25)}}{2(34)}[/tex]
[tex]x = \frac {-24y \pm \sqrt{-200(25y^2-17)}}{68}[/tex]

Now to make things simple, let the discriminant be equal to zero:
[tex]
-200(25y^2-17)=0 \iff 5000y^2 = 3400 \iff y= \pm \sqrt{\frac{3400}{5000}} = \pm \frac{\sqrt{17}}{5}
[/tex]

Again, to make things simple, plug positive y into x:
\begin{array}{ll}
x &= \frac {-24y \pm \sqrt{-200(25y^2-17)}}{68}\\
x &= \frac {-24(\frac{\sqrt{17}}{5}) \pm \sqrt{0}}{68} \ || \ Remember \ the \ discriminant \ was \ zero \\
x &= \frac {-24(\frac{\sqrt{17}}{5})}{68} = \frac{-6}{5 \sqrt{17}}
\end{array}

Then by pugging x and y into z:
\begin{array}{ll}
z &= \frac{1}{5}(-3x - 4y)\\
&= \frac{1}{5}(-3({\frac{-6}{5 \sqrt{17}}) - 4(\frac{\sqrt{17}}{5}})\\
&= \frac{-2}{\sqrt{17}}
\end{array}

Therefore
\begin{cases}
x = \frac{-6}{5 \sqrt{17}}\\
y = \frac{\sqrt{17}}{5}\\
z = \frac{-2}{\sqrt{17}}
\end{cases}
and the direction we want to head in is

[tex]\hat{u} = (x,y,z) = (\frac{-6}{5 \sqrt{17}},\frac{\sqrt{17}}{5},\frac{-2}{\sqrt{17}})[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good TheSodesa!

1. How do temperature, pressure, and volume relate to each other?

The relationship between temperature, pressure, and volume can be described by the Ideal Gas Law: PV = nRT. This means that as temperature increases, pressure and volume also increase, and vice versa. This relationship holds true for ideal gases.

2. Can temperature be a function of more than 3 variables?

Yes, temperature can be a function of any number of variables as long as there is a relationship between them. In thermodynamics, temperature is often a function of variables such as energy, entropy, and heat capacity.

3. How does temperature affect the behavior of matter?

Temperature plays a crucial role in determining the physical and chemical properties of matter. As temperature increases, molecules gain more energy and move faster, causing changes in state of matter (e.g. melting, boiling) and chemical reactions.

4. Can temperature be negative?

Yes, temperature can be negative on certain scales, such as the Kelvin scale. This indicates that the molecules in a system have less energy and are moving slower than at absolute zero (0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius).

5. What is the relationship between temperature and the kinetic energy of molecules?

The higher the temperature, the greater the kinetic energy of molecules. This is because temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of molecules in a system. As temperature increases, the molecules move faster and have more energy.