Find impedance of a 2nd ODE circuit (PSPICE)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Evales
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
See the circuit diagram attached.
The voltage source is a sinusoidal AC source with amplitude = 240, Frequency = 50, Phase = 90.

Essentially I have a lab report and I was wondering what sort of equations are required to find the impedance of the circuit. We're not really told if we're actually able to calculate this by hand (We've only just started 2nd ODE circuits)
The whole report is trying to prove that PSPICE produces correct answers.
See the probe diagram attached.

What our pspice instructions are, is to go the to second peak from the right of the probe and get the peak of the voltage over A [V(A)] and and go the the peak of the current over R1 [I(R1)], then using the values from those points and the phase difference substitute the values into:
Z = [itex]\frac{V}{I}[/itex] to find the impedance.
So for my diagram I have:
Z = 239.931ej0/15.455e35.33j

I understand that these values are inaccurate (our lab sheet tells us this as well) however is there any way to do comparable hand calculations (not using the graph) that would give similar results?

I tried using S2+[itex]\frac{10}{300mH}[/itex]S+[itex]\frac{1}{300mHx30uH}[/itex]=0
To find the voltage at time t however when I used that value to get a current for the circuit I got a non complex number.

Any recommendations are much appreciated.

ALSO
Just realized that the lab notes (which have different results to mine, also known and okay) state that:
240e0xj/15.44e34.4xj= 12.9 - 8.8j
I'm totally not getting that when I plug it into my calculator.
I get: -15.35-2.44j

Anyone got any ideas?
 
Attachments
  • AC Analysis.png
    AC Analysis.png
    2 KB · Views: 626
  • 1-5 AC Analysis.png
    1-5 AC Analysis.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 622
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The impedances of inductors and capacitors are, respectively, ##j\omega L##, ##\frac{1}{j\omega C}##. Add up your impedances for a series circuit.
 
Thanks but you didn't respond regarding the discrepancy that I found in my lab instructors results. Please just tell me, I handed it in yesterday anyway.
 
Evales said:
Thanks but you didn't respond regarding the discrepancy that I found in my lab instructors results. Please just tell me, I handed it in yesterday anyway.

Make sure that the exponents of e in your calculations are expressed in radians, not degrees.