Find integral of 3x^2 e^2x^3 for x

• Thread starter staples82
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, to find the integral of (3x^2)*(e^2x^3)*(dx) using substitution, we first let u=2x^3 and du=6x^2 dx. Then, we can rewrite the integral as \int e^{2x^3} (3x^2 dx) and substitute in our values for u and du. We also notice that in order to make our substitution work, we need to divide du by 2. This gives us the final answer of \frac{e^{2x^3}}{2}+C. It may be helpful to look at more examples to fully understand the concept of substitution.
staples82

Homework Statement

Use substitution to find: (3x^2)*(e^2x^3)*(dx)

I don't know how to do the integration sign...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

u=2x^3
du=6x^2

this is where I got confused, my teacher isn't that good and I'm trying to understand how to substitute...

I know that its supposed to be e^u*du=e^u+c

the answer was (e^2x^3)/2+C

Physics news on Phys.org

[tex]\int 3x^2 e^{2x^3}dx[/tex]

[itex]u=2x^3 \rightarrow \frac{du}{dx}=6x^2 \rightarrow du=6x^2 dx[/itex]

which is the same as [itex]\frac{du}{2}=3x^2 dx[/itex]

You understand up to here right?

Now you can write the integral as this

[tex]\int e^{2x^3} (3x^2 dx)[/tex]

Now do you see what you can put at [itex]2x^3[/itex] and [itex](3x^2 dx)[/itex] as?

I'm wondering why you did du/2=3x^2dx, also how did you get the math text?

staples82 said:
I'm wondering why you did du/2=3x^2dx

Well you see, when you did the substitution of [itex]u=3x^2[/itex], a 'u' will appear to be integrated and you can't integrate 'u' with respect to x. So what we need to get something to replace 'dx' with and [itex]\frac{du}{dx}=6x^2[/itex], if we multiply by the 'dx' we'll see that [itex]du=6x^2 dx[/itex]. But in the integrand there is no '[itex]6x^2[/itex]', only [itex]3x^2[/itex]. BUT [itex]6x^2=2(3x^2)[/itex], so that is why we divided by 2.

staples82 said:
also how did you get the math text?

just use [*tex]What you want to represent mathematically[/tex*] without the *

Ok, so then that's why [tex]e^u/2[/tex] is the answer, I think I have to look at a few more problems, see if i can clear it up

staples82 said:
Ok, so then that's why [tex]e^u/2[/tex] is the answer, I think I have to look at a few more problems, see if i can clear it up

Post back if you need more help.

1. What is the first step in finding the integral of 3x^2 e^2x^3 for x?

The first step is to use the chain rule to rewrite the expression as (3x^2)(e^2x^3).

2. How do I integrate 3x^2 e^2x^3 for x?

To integrate 3x^2 e^2x^3 for x, use integration by parts with u = e^2x^3 and dv = 3x^2 dx.

3. What is the general formula for integrating a product of two functions?

The general formula for integrating a product of two functions, u and v, is ∫u*dv = uv - ∫v*du.

4. Can the integral of 3x^2 e^2x^3 for x be simplified further?

Yes, the integral can be further simplified by using properties of exponents and simplifying the resulting expression.

5. Is it possible to solve the integral of 3x^2 e^2x^3 for x without using integration by parts?

No, integration by parts is the most efficient method for solving this integral. Other methods, such as substitution or partial fractions, can also be used but may require more steps and be more complex.