Find Limit of Sequence: a(1)=2, a(n+1)=1/(3-an)

In summary, the limit for a continued fraction sequence is the same as the limit for a sequence of ordinal numbers.
pureouchies4717
hi, can someone please look at this. it doesn't look right to me. thanks

i have to find the limit:

a(1)= 2 a(n+1)=1/(3-an)

a1=2, a2=1, a3= .5, a4= .4, a5= .3846, a6=.382385... a9=.3819742, a10= .3819672

therefore the limit would be approximately .38197 right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I think the question wants you to find it exactly.

Are you familiar with continued fractions ?

OK, let me try to get you started.

At the limit (if it exists), the successive values shouldn't change.

That is,

[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_{n+1} = a_n[/tex]

In other words,

[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{3 - a_n}= a_n[/tex]

Can you solve that equation ? There will be 2 solutions, only one of which is admissible. But to see why only that one should be accepted you have to do some further work. Do this first, then we'll take it from there.

Curious3141 said:
OK, let me try to get you started.

At the limit (if it exists), the successive values shouldn't change.

That is,

[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_{n+1} = a_n[/tex]

Rather

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_{n+1} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n[/tex]

and similarly for the other identity.

Muzza said:
Rather

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_{n+1} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n[/tex]

and similarly for the other identity.

What's the difference from what I posted ?

Maybe the LaTex wasn't clear (I hate Tex), but I intended the limit to apply to both LHS and RHS. I don't see anything wrong with my notation, do you ?

Last edited:
you guys are great!

thanks
:!)

Curious, your notation is saying that [itex] a_n [/itex] is the solution to [tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_{n+1}[/tex]. Muzza's notation is saying that the two limits are equivalent.

It was really your statement "At the limit (if it exists), the successive values shouldn't change." that is not very precise. At the limit, there are no "succesive values"!

Of course, it is true that {an} and {an+1} are just renumberings of the same sequence and so must have the same limit. If the sequence has a limit, call it "a" and then
[tex]a= lim a_{n+1}= lim \frac{1}{3- a_n}= \frac{1}{3- lim a_n}= \frac{1}{3- a}[/tex]

Jeff Ford said:
Curious, your notation is saying that [itex] a_n [/itex] is the solution to [tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_{n+1}[/tex]. Muzza's notation is saying that the two limits are equivalent.

The spacing is off. The limit applies to both terms, more like :

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (a_{n+1} = a_n)[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
It was really your statement "At the limit (if it exists), the successive values shouldn't change." that is not very precise. At the limit, there are no "succesive values"!

But successive values are in fact what we're talking about, whether we want to overtly admit it or not. What we're (both) saying is in effect that with higher and higher ordinal numbers, the difference between successive terms become smaller and smaller. At the limit, the difference between successive terms vanishes !

Of course, it is true that {an} and {an+1} are just renumberings of the same sequence and so must have the same limit. If the sequence has a limit, call it "a" and then
[tex]a= lim a_{n+1}= lim \frac{1}{3- a_n}= \frac{1}{3- lim a_n}= \frac{1}{3- a}[/tex]

OK, it looks "better" to call the limit a but it's essentially the same thing, IMHO. The essence of the whole thing is that :

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (n+1 = n)[/tex]

is it not ? Or if you'd prefer to break it up into two limits,

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (n+1) = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n[/tex]

Curious3141 said:
The spacing is off. The limit applies to both terms, more like :

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (a_{n+1} = a_n)[/tex]

This is not notation I've ever seen used, anywhere. In my opinion it's not a terribly good notation either. It looks like you're somehow distributing the limit over the = sign?

Just write the limit on both sides of the equation, and end all misunderstandings.

shmoe said:
This is not notation I've ever seen used, anywhere. In my opinion it's not a terribly good notation either. It looks like you're somehow distributing the limit over the = sign?

Just write the limit on both sides of the equation, and end all misunderstandings.

OK, if it's not standard notation, then I stand corrected. :smile:

Related to Find Limit of Sequence: a(1)=2, a(n+1)=1/(3-an)

What is the formula for finding the limit of a sequence?

The formula for finding the limit of a sequence is a(n+1)=a(n), where n represents the term number in the sequence. This means that the limit is equal to the term that comes after it.

What is the starting term in this sequence?

The starting term in this sequence is a(1)=2. This means that the first term in the sequence is equal to 2.

How do I find the limit using the given formula?

To find the limit of this sequence, you can start by plugging in values for n and finding the corresponding term. As n approaches infinity, the terms will get closer and closer to the limit. In this case, the limit would be 1/3.

What does the "a" in the formula represent?

The "a" in the formula represents the term number in the sequence. It is used to denote the relationship between each term and the one that follows it.

Can this formula be used for any sequence?

No, this formula can only be used for sequences that have a constant difference between each term. It is not applicable for more complex sequences.