Find μ and σ^2 of Y when X~N(2,4)

• MHB
  • Thread starter dlee
  • Start date
In summary, if X ~ N(2,4) then Y = -X-1 is also a normal random variable such that Y ~ N(-3,4). We can find μ by using the property E(Y) = -E(X) - 1 and we can find σ^2 by using the property Var(aX) = a^2Var(X), where a = -1. Therefore, the variance for Y is also 4.
dlee
If X ~ N(2,4) then Y = -X-1 is also a normal random variable such that Y ~ N(μ,σ^2).
Find μ and σ^2.

I know that E(X) = 2 and Var(X) = 4.

E(Y) = -E(X) - 1
E(Y) = -2 - 1 = -3
So I found μ, but I'm not sure how to find the variance. Help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
dlee said:
If X ~ N(2,4) then Y = -X-1 is also a normal random variable such that Y ~ N(μ,σ^2).
Find μ and σ^2.

I know that E(X) = 2 and Var(X) = 4.

E(Y) = -E(X) - 1
E(Y) = -2 - 1 = -3
So I found μ, but I'm not sure how to find the variance. Help?

Welcome to MHB, dlee! :)

There are a couple of basic properties for expectations and variances as you can see here.

In particular $\sigma^2(X + a)=\sigma^2(X)$ and $\sigma^2(aX)=a^2\sigma^2(X)$, where $a$ is some arbitrary constant.

AH the variance is 4! Thank you!

1. What does "X~N(2,4)" mean in this context?

In statistics, "N(μ,σ^2)" is a notation used to represent a normal distribution, where μ is the mean and σ^2 is the variance. Therefore, "X~N(2,4)" means that the random variable X follows a normal distribution with a mean of 2 and a variance of 4.

2. How do you find the mean (μ) of Y in this scenario?

The mean of Y can be found by simply using the given value of μ, which is 2. In other words, μ = 2.

3. What is the process for finding the variance (σ^2) of Y?

The variance of Y can be calculated using the formula σ^2 = E[(Y-μ)^2]. In this case, μ = 2 and we know that X~N(2,4), so we can substitute those values into the formula to find the variance of Y, which is σ^2 = 4.

4. Can you explain the concept of a normal distribution in simpler terms?

A normal distribution is a type of probability distribution that is often used to represent real-world data. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve, with the majority of the data falling within one standard deviation of the mean, and the remaining data spread out on either side. This type of distribution is common in many natural phenomena, such as human height or test scores.

5. How does knowing the mean and variance of Y in this scenario help in understanding the data?

Knowing the mean and variance of Y helps to describe the distribution of the data and make predictions about the likelihood of certain values occurring. For example, in this scenario, we know that most of the data will fall between 0 and 4, and the chances of a value being further from the mean decreases as the distance increases. It also allows for comparison to other datasets that may have a different mean and variance.