Find μ and σ^2 of Y when X~N(2,4)

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter dlee
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
dlee
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
If X ~ N(2,4) then Y = -X-1 is also a normal random variable such that Y ~ N(μ,σ^2).
Find μ and σ^2.

I know that E(X) = 2 and Var(X) = 4.

E(Y) = -E(X) - 1
E(Y) = -2 - 1 = -3
So I found μ, but I'm not sure how to find the variance. Help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
dlee said:
If X ~ N(2,4) then Y = -X-1 is also a normal random variable such that Y ~ N(μ,σ^2).
Find μ and σ^2.

I know that E(X) = 2 and Var(X) = 4.

E(Y) = -E(X) - 1
E(Y) = -2 - 1 = -3
So I found μ, but I'm not sure how to find the variance. Help?

Welcome to MHB, dlee! :)

There are a couple of basic properties for expectations and variances as you can see here.

In particular $\sigma^2(X + a)=\sigma^2(X)$ and $\sigma^2(aX)=a^2\sigma^2(X)$, where $a$ is some arbitrary constant.