Find magnetic field of infinitely closely spaced loop

Where r is the radius of the loop. Since the loops are stacked closely together, we can approximate the total length, d, as the circumference of the stack of loops, 2πnr, where n is the number of loops. Thus, the magnetic field at the point X can be calculated as:In summary, we can use Ampere's Law to calculate the magnetic field, B, at the point X by taking the integral around a single loop and using the total current enclosed, I, which can be approximated as the product of the number of loops and the circumference of the stack of loops. The resulting formula for B is B = \frac{\mu_0I}{2\pi r}, where r is the radius of
cloudy14
My lecturer ask us to think about this question.

em.JPG

Those loop are very closely spaced, with current I going in anticlockwise direction. The stack of loop have a total length of d. What is the magnetic field, B at the point X?

(I assume the X to be directly on top of the center of the loops.)

The attempt at a solution:

Help! I don't even know where to start. I tried to used the Ampere's Law
[tex]\oint{B \cdot dl}=\mu_0I_{enc}[/tex]
But realized I ended up getting the results for a cylinder.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution:We can use Ampere's Law to calculate the magnetic field, B, at the point X. Since the current I is flowing in an anticlockwise direction, the integral will be taken clockwise around the loop. \oint{B \cdot dl} = \mu_0I_{enc}Where I_{enc} is the total current enclosed by the integral. In this case, the integral is taken around a single loop, and so I_{enc} = I. Thus:\oint{B \cdot dl} = \mu_0ISince we are looking for the magnetic field at the center of the loop, the distance dl is equal to the circumference of the loop, 2πr. Therefore,B = \frac{\mu_0I}{2\pi r}

1. How do you find the magnetic field of an infinitely closely spaced loop?

To find the magnetic field of an infinitely closely spaced loop, you can use the formula: B = μ0 * I / (2 * π * r), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the loop, and r is the distance from the center of the loop. This formula assumes that the loop is circular and the distance r is much larger than the radius of the loop.

2. What is the significance of an infinite number of closely spaced loops?

An infinite number of closely spaced loops is used in the calculation of the magnetic field because it simplifies the calculation and provides a more accurate result. This is because the magnetic field produced by each individual loop is canceled out by the magnetic field produced by its neighboring loops, leaving only the desired magnetic field at the center.

3. Can the magnetic field of an infinitely closely spaced loop be negative?

No, the magnetic field of an infinitely closely spaced loop cannot be negative. This is because the magnetic field is a vector quantity and its direction is determined by the direction of the current flowing through the loop. As the loops are closely spaced, the magnetic field produced by each loop will be in the same direction, resulting in a positive net magnetic field at the center.

4. How does the distance from the center of the loop affect the magnetic field?

The magnetic field of an infinitely closely spaced loop is inversely proportional to the distance from the center of the loop. This means that the magnetic field decreases as the distance increases. However, this relationship is only valid when the distance is much larger than the radius of the loop.

5. Can this formula be used for non-circular loops?

No, this formula can only be used for circular loops. For non-circular loops, the calculation of the magnetic field becomes more complex and may require numerical methods or approximations. Additionally, the distance r in the formula should be measured from the center of the loop to the point where the magnetic field is being calculated.