1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find magnetic flux density B circulation in closed contour

1. Dec 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find magnetic flux density B circulation in closed contour. The countour consists of square with a perimeter of 4b. It includes a square conductor with a perimeter of 4a. A homogenic current flows through a conductor with a current density of j.
    kIPvEOH.png

2. Relevant equations
    ∫B⋅dl=μ0⋅I

3. The attempt at a solution
    I get this equation ∫B⋅dl=μ0⋅j⋅a2 but the answer says that the integration contour is Γ. How do I get the Γ? ΓB⋅dl=μ0⋅j⋅a2

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2016 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, since it's been nearly 120 hrs (5 days) with no other posters,I will suggest:
    (1) line integral of H over ANY section of the large perimeter WITH ZERO CURRENT EVERYWHERE = 0. This includes the two "a" sections common to the large & small perimeters.
    (2) line integral over any one of the four current-carrying section sides (by Ampere's law) = ja2(a) = ja3.
    (3) Thus the circulation of H over the two common "a" sections = 2ja3 and of course B = μ0H.
    (4) Add (3) to (1) and you get the answer of (3).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted