Find Magnitude of Magnetic Field Along Bent Wire at Point P

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field produced by two wire segments at point P. Using the given equation, the magnitude of the magnetic field is calculated to be 1.948x10^-7 T. However, the direction of the magnetic field is not clear and further explanation or clarification is needed. It is important to ensure that the r in the denominator is squared when doing the calculation.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

A wire carrying a 31.0 A current bends through a right angle. Consider two 2.00 mm segments of wire, each 3.00 cm from the bend. A figure has been included.

Part A) Find the magnitude of the magnetic field these two segments produce at point P, which is midway between them.

Part B) Find the direction of the magnetic field at point P.

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{}B[/itex] = μ0*I*Lsin(θ)/4∏r2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the calculation given above:

B = (10^-7)(31A)(2/1000 m)sin(45)/(18/400)
B = 9.74x10^-8

However there are two wires thus, B = 1.948x10^-7

But it says my answer is wrong and I can't pinpoint where I'm going wrong.

Also, for part B, I'm a little confused about the direction the magnetic field is acting in. Is the force of the magnetic field acting pointing towards point P thus indicating that the magnetic field is point out of the page?

Attachments

• physics hwk 8 prob 3.png
    physics hwk 8 prob 3.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,027
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you square the r in the denominator when you were doing the calculation?

I don't understand your reasoning for the direction of B. But the direction is not out of the page. See if your text or notes explains how to get the direction.

1. What is the equation for finding the magnitude of magnetic field along a bent wire at point P?

The equation for finding the magnitude of magnetic field along a bent wire at point P is: B = μ0I/4πr, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance from the wire to point P.

2. How does the angle of the bend in the wire affect the magnitude of the magnetic field?

The angle of the bend in the wire does not have a direct effect on the magnitude of the magnetic field. It is the distance from the wire to point P (r) that determines the strength of the magnetic field. However, the angle of the bend may affect the direction of the magnetic field.

3. Can the magnitude of the magnetic field along a bent wire at point P be negative?

No, the magnitude of the magnetic field cannot be negative. It is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field, and therefore, it is always a positive value. However, the direction of the magnetic field can be negative.

4. How does the current in the wire affect the magnitude of the magnetic field at point P?

The magnitude of the magnetic field at point P is directly proportional to the current in the wire. This means that as the current increases, the strength of the magnetic field also increases. Similarly, if the current decreases, the magnetic field strength decreases as well.

5. Can the distance from the wire to point P ever be zero?

No, the distance from the wire to point P cannot be zero. This is because the equation for finding the magnitude of the magnetic field involves dividing by the distance (r). If the distance were to be zero, the equation would be undefined. Therefore, the distance must always be a nonzero value.