Find Mobius Transformations (M→N)

In summary, the student is trying to find two equations that map M and N to {0, 1, ∞}. Mappings z1, z2, z3 into the given order results in z(-∞)/(z-∞).
tazzzdo

Homework Statement

H is the upper-half plane model of the hyperbolic space

Find all Mobius transformations that send M to N.

Homework Equations

a) M = {0, 1, ∞}, N = {∞, 0, 1}
b) M = {0, 1, ∞}, N = {0, ∞, 2}
c) M = {i, -i, 3i}, N = {∞, i + 1, 6}

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the transformation:

5e40aaf0700c2d00dc6d5d089cba2749.png

Could I develop two equations m(z) and n(z) that map M and N to {0, 1, ∞}, respectively? Then just find n-1[itex]\circ[/itex]m? Wouldn't that result in M→N?

If that's true, I'm just confused as to what points to use for z1, z2, z3.

Physics news on Phys.org
That works. Your transformation f1(z) takes z1->0, z2->1 and z3->∞. Which case of finding a specific transformation m(z) or n(z) are you confused about? Are you supposed to map the sets in the given order or in any order?

Last edited:
Well if I plug those z's in, I get z(-∞)/(z-∞) for m(z). I seem to hit a wall there. Same with n(z). I don't know how to fix those equations into a form that I can use for the composition.

tazzzdo said:
Well if I plug those z's in, I get z(-∞)/(z-∞) for m(z). I seem to hit a wall there. Same with n(z). I don't know how to fix those equations into a form that I can use for the composition.

Which part are you working on? I suspect it's trying to map {0,1,∞} to {0,1,∞}. If z is finite then (-∞)/(z-∞) should cancel to 1. That would mean m(z)=z should work. It does, doesn't it?

Yeah I see what you're saying. Then does that mean I just switch the z's around in (a) for n(z)? But use the same transformation?

I can't find a transformation n such that n(1) = infinity

tazzzdo said:
I can't find a transformation n such that n(1) = infinity

Why not? Find it the same way you found m(z). What do you get when you put the z1, z2, z3 in?

FAQ: Find Mobius Transformations (M→N)

What is a Mobius transformation?

A Mobius transformation is a mathematical function that maps points from one complex plane to another. It is also known as a linear fractional transformation or a conformal map.

What is the general form of a Mobius transformation?

The general form of a Mobius transformation is given by:
z' = (az + b) / (cz + d)
where z and z' are complex numbers, and a, b, c, and d are complex constants.

How do I find the Mobius transformation that maps three points to three other points?

To find the Mobius transformation that maps three points z1, z2, and z3 to three points w1, w2, and w3, you can use the following formula:
f(z) = (w2-w3)/(z2-z3) * (z-z1) + w3
This will give you the specific Mobius transformation for your given set of points.

What are some properties of Mobius transformations?

Some properties of Mobius transformations include:
- They preserve circles, lines, and angles
- They can map the entire complex plane to itself
- They are invertible
- The composition of two Mobius transformations is also a Mobius transformation.

How are Mobius transformations used in real life?

Mobius transformations have many applications in mathematics and physics, such as in conformal mapping and complex analysis. They are also used in computer graphics and geometry to transform shapes and surfaces. In addition, Mobius transformations are used in engineering and physics to model physical phenomena such as fluid flow and electromagnetic fields.

Back