1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Mobius Transformations (M→N)

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

H is the upper-half plane model of the hyperbolic space

Find all Mobius transformations that send M to N.

2. Relevant equations

a) M = {0, 1, ∞}, N = {∞, 0, 1}
    b) M = {0, 1, ∞}, N = {0, ∞, 2}
    c) M = {i, -i, 3i}, N = {∞, i + 1, 6}

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the transformation:

5e40aaf0700c2d00dc6d5d089cba2749.png

Could I develop two equations m(z) and n(z) that map M and N to {0, 1, ∞}, respectively? Then just find n-1[itex]\circ[/itex]m? Wouldn't that result in M→N?

If that's true, I'm just confused as to what points to use for z1, z2, z3.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That works. Your transformation f1(z) takes z1->0, z2->1 and z3->∞. Which case of finding a specific transformation m(z) or n(z) are you confused about? Are you supposed to map the sets in the given order or in any order?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  4. Apr 22, 2012 #3
    Well if I plug those z's in, I get z(-∞)/(z-∞) for m(z). I seem to hit a wall there. Same with n(z). I don't know how to fix those equations into a form that I can use for the composition.

5. Apr 22, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which part are you working on? I suspect it's trying to map {0,1,∞} to {0,1,∞}. If z is finite then (-∞)/(z-∞) should cancel to 1. That would mean m(z)=z should work. It does, doesn't it?

6. Apr 22, 2012 #5
    Yeah I see what you're saying. Then does that mean I just switch the z's around in (a) for n(z)? But use the same transformation?

7. Apr 23, 2012 #6
    I cant find a transformation n such that n(1) = infinity

8. Apr 23, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why not? Find it the same way you found m(z). What do you get when you put the z1, z2, z3 in?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook