1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find net electric field in a wire?

1. Sep 10, 2015 #1
    After solving this problem I ended up with--(2a is the length of the wire)(integral limit is from -a to +a)
    (x is the ⊥ distance from centre of the wire to a point P where we have to find the net field )
    E[SUBx]= (1/4Πε)*(Q/2a)∫x.dy/(x^2+y^2)^3/2

P.S- sorry, I'm not able to upload the image of the problem. This is my first time ever at this site.
    Help me in solving this integral.
    Detailed solution would be appreciated . ☺

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 13, 2015 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Do you want the electric field in the wire or around the wire at some point in space ##P##? I'm assuming you want the electric field at some point ##P##.

The easiest way to do this problem is to position the wire along the z-axis and enclose it in a cylindrical Gaussian surface. Then using Gauss' law, find the magnitude of the electric flux density ##| \vec D |## in terms of the enclosed charge.

Then using ##\vec D = \varepsilon \vec E##, you will be able to find the electric field.

Hint: The electric flux density ##\vec D## points radially outwards from the cylinder, so in cylindrical co-ordinates we can write it as ##\vec D = |\vec D| \hat r##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted