Find orthogonal P and diagonal matrix D

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an orthogonal matrix P and diagonal matrix D that satisfies P' A P = D, with the given matrix A. The speaker has already found the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A, and is now trying to find P using normalized eigenvectors. It is noted that using normalized eigenvectors makes finding the inverse matrix P-1 easier.
phamdat1202

Homework Statement

A= [1 -1 0]
[-1 2 -1]
[0 -1 1]
find orthogonal matrix P and diagonal matrix D such that P' A P = D

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i got eigenvalues are 0, 1, 3 which make D=[0 0 0; 0 1 0; 0 0 3]
how to find P. because in my solution they mentioned about normalised eigenvectors.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the eigenvectors. The columns of P are the eigenvectors.

i know after i got eigenvalues, i can find eigenvectors which is P.
my question is that in my solution, P are normalised eigenvectors. why they use normalised eigenvector instead of the eigenvector?

If you used unnormalized eigenvectors the diagonalization equation is P-1AP=D instead of P*AP=D. The inverse is particularly easy to find with normalized eigenvectors. If P is constructed from normalized, orthogonal eigenvectors then P will be an orthogonal matrix, making P-1=P*.

thanks, got it

1. What is an orthogonal matrix and why is it important?

An orthogonal matrix is a square matrix where the rows and columns are orthogonal unit vectors, meaning they are perpendicular to each other and have a magnitude of 1. These matrices are important because they preserve the length and angle of vectors when multiplied with them, making them useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.

2. How do you find an orthogonal matrix?

To find an orthogonal matrix, you can use the Gram-Schmidt process, which involves taking a set of linearly independent vectors and generating an orthogonal basis from them. Alternatively, you can also use the QR decomposition method to obtain an orthogonal matrix.

3. What is a diagonal matrix and how is it different from an orthogonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix is a square matrix where all the elements outside of the main diagonal are zero. This means that the only non-zero elements are on the main diagonal. Unlike an orthogonal matrix, a diagonal matrix does not necessarily have orthogonal rows and columns.

4. Why would you want to find orthogonal P and diagonal matrix D?

Finding orthogonal P and diagonal matrix D is useful in various mathematical and scientific applications. For example, in linear algebra, it can be used to simplify matrix calculations and solve systems of linear equations. In signal processing, it can be used to perform fast Fourier transforms. Additionally, these matrices are important in data compression and image processing.

5. Can any matrix be decomposed into an orthogonal matrix and a diagonal matrix?

Yes, any square matrix can be decomposed into an orthogonal matrix and a diagonal matrix, as long as the matrix is invertible. This is known as the spectral theorem, which states that any symmetric matrix can be decomposed into an orthogonal matrix and a diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues of the original matrix on the diagonal.