Finding Vertices of a Rhombus: Method and Rules | Homework Help

• Thread starter desmond iking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
The same goes for the vector from B to C and the vector from A to D (see picture). So, if we use the midpoint of AC, we can calculate the coordinates of B by taking the midpoint of A and C and adding the vector from A to D. This will give us the coordinates of B as (6,7). Similarly, we can use the midpoint of BD and subtract the vector from D to C to get the coordinates of B as (6,7). Therefore, p=6 and q=7.In summary, to find the vertices of a rhombus, one can use the method of finding the midpoints of the diagonals and adding or subtracting the appropriate vectors to determine the coordinates of the remaining
desmond iking

Homework Statement

A(7.0 ) , B(p,q) , C(1,2 ) and D (2.-5) are vertices of rhombus ABCD. determine p and q , i use the method of midpoint of AC and BD to find the ans, suprisingly , i gt the ans.. my question is , what rule to follow when it co mes to finding the vertices of rhombus? the ans is p=6 , q=7 BUT when i sketch it on diagram , it doesn't make sense. can someone help me on this

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• DSC_0209[1].JPG
    DSC_0209[1].JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 397
Physics news on Phys.org
A rhombus is a parallelogram with sides of the same length. A square is an example of a rhombus.

In your diagram, you placed the B point in the wrong place it should be higher and more to the right to make the sides parallel.

EDIT I must have fallen asleep whenI said it was a parallelogram with parallel sides duh...

Last edited:
desmond iking said:

Homework Statement

A(7.0 ) , B(p,q) , C(1,2 ) and D (2.-5) are vertices of rhombus ABCD. determine p and q ,i use the method of midpoint of AC and BD to find the ans, suprisingly , i gt the ans..my question is , what rule to follow when it co mes to finding the vertices of rhombus? the ans is p=6 , q=7BUT when i sketch it on diagram , it doesn't make sense. can someone help me on this

Homework Equations

It helps here to know what the definition of a 'rhombus' is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhombus

It's a quadrilateral with all four sides having the same length.

jedishrfu said:
A rhombus is a parallelogram with sides of the same length. A square is an example of a rhombus.

In your diagram, you placed the B point in the wrong place it should be higher and more to the right to make the sides parallel.

A square is a rather specialized example of a rhombus, when you specify a right-angled corner. But true. More useful here is the parallelogram status, because we already have the opposite sides (CD and DA) available to us, so we just need to apply those to get AB or BC (using the other one as a check).

In the diagram, B and D are both in the wrong quadrants, not just slightly shifted. C could do with better positioning too.

Likes schlynn
desmond iking said:

Homework Statement

A(7.0 ) , B(p,q) , C(1,2 ) and D (2.-5) are vertices of rhombus ABCD. determine p and q ,i use the method of midpoint of AC and BD to find the ans, suprisingly , i gt the ans..my question is , what rule to follow when it co mes to finding the vertices of rhombus? the ans is p=6 , q=7BUT when i sketch it on diagram , it doesn't make sense. can someone help me on this

Homework Equations

Usually the vertexes of a polygon are numbered in a way that B is next to A anticlockwise and so on. See picture.
As the sides of the rhombus are parallel the vector drawn from A to B is the same as the vector drown form D to C.
rhombus.JPG

Related to Finding Vertices of a Rhombus: Method and Rules | Homework Help

What is a rhombus?

A rhombus is a quadrilateral with four equal sides. It is also known as a diamond or a lozenge.

How do you find the vertices of a rhombus?

The vertices of a rhombus can be found by following these steps:

1. Identify the length of the side of the rhombus.
  2. Draw a line segment of the given length.
  3. Draw another line segment perpendicular to the first line segment, intersecting at its midpoint.
  4. Repeat step 3 for the other three sides.
  5. The four intersecting points are the vertices of the rhombus.

What is the method for finding the vertices of a rhombus?

The method for finding the vertices of a rhombus is to use the properties of a rhombus, specifically that all four sides are equal and opposite sides are parallel. By drawing perpendicular bisectors of each side, the points of intersection will be the vertices of the rhombus.

What are the rules for finding the vertices of a rhombus?

The rules for finding the vertices of a rhombus are:

• All four sides are equal in length.
  • Opposite sides are parallel.
  • Adjacent angles are supplementary (add up to 180 degrees).
  • Diagonals bisect each other at right angles.

Can the vertices of a rhombus be found using any method?

Yes, the vertices of a rhombus can be found using various methods such as using the side length and angles, using the coordinates of the vertices, or using the properties of a rhombus.