Find solution of eqation 2cot^2x-5cosec x =1

• Thread starter vkash
  • Start date
In summary, for the equation 2cot2(x)-5cosec(x)=1, there are exactly 6 values of x belonging to [0,nπ] where n is the minimum value. This is because in each interval of 2π, there are 2 solutions for x. Therefore, the minimum value of n is 5. Both the answer sheet and the respondent are correct in their solutions.
vkash
2cot2(x)-5cosec(x)=1 for exactly 6 values of x belongs to [0,nπ], then find the minimum value of n.
my answer is 5.
How i did it.changing cot to cosec and then solving equation it will give something like cosec(x)=3. for x belongs to 0 to 5π it has 6 solutions..
this is question of a class test & answer in test's answer sheet is 6.
WHO IS correct. me or answer sheet??

Physics news on Phys.org
In 2π, you'd get 2 solutions A and 180-A. So for the next 2π, you'd have 4 in total and then in 2π again, you'd get 6.

So your range would be 6π.

rock.freak667 said:
In 2π, you'd get 2 solutions A and 180-A. So for the next 2π, you'd have 4 in total and then in 2π again, you'd get 6.

So your range would be 6π.
If i have got A and 180-A then i have got solutions in [0,π] not [0,2π] and in next 2π(or in [0,3π]) i will have 4 solution why i should go for 4π. similarly for next 5π.

Last edited:
You are correct for the problem that was given.

There are two roots in [0, π] ,

two roots in [2π, 3π] ,

and two roots in [4π, 5π] .

SammyS said:
You are correct for the problem that was given.

There are two roots in [0, π] ,

two roots in [2π, 3π] ,

and two roots in [4π, 5π] .

thanks sammy..

1. How do you solve the equation 2cot2x - 5cosec x = 1?

To solve this equation, we need to use trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation. First, we can rewrite the equation as 2(cos2x/sin2x) - (5/sin x) = 1. Then, we can substitute 1 - sin2x for cos2x and solve for sin x. Once we have the value of sin x, we can find the value of cos x using the Pythagorean identity. Finally, we can use the inverse functions of sine and cosine to find the values of x that satisfy the equation.

2. Can this equation be solved using a calculator?

Yes, this equation can be solved using a calculator with trigonometric functions. However, it is important to use the correct mode (degrees or radians) and to pay attention to the domain of the function to ensure all solutions are found.

3. Are there multiple solutions to this equation?

Yes, there are typically multiple solutions to a trigonometric equation. In this case, there will be infinitely many solutions since the trigonometric functions have a periodic nature.

4. Can you use the quadratic formula to solve this equation?

No, the quadratic formula is used to solve equations in the form of ax2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants. In this equation, there is no x2 term, so the quadratic formula cannot be used.

5. Is there a specific method or strategy to solve this type of equation?

Yes, there are specific strategies and methods to solve trigonometric equations, such as using identities, factoring, and solving for a specific variable. It is important to have a strong understanding of trigonometric functions and their properties in order to successfully solve these types of equations.