Find the angle theta at which the ladder leaves the wall

In summary: Third, you have drawn the ladder starting from rest, but the CM has already moved a bit. Lastly, you have drawn the CM moving upward and then concave left.
HiPPiE
A uniform ladder of length L leans against a smooth (no friction) wall. The floor is also smooth (no friction) and the ladder makes an angle of Theta-0 with the floor when the ladder is installed at rest.

a) Before the ladder leaves the wall, express the equations of motion of the ladder in terms of a single generalized coordinate.

b) Find a constant of the motion.

c) Find the angel theta at which the ladder leaves the wall.

EDIT:
By the way, the idea is that the ladder accumulates some momentum in the horizontal, the way its motion is, and because of that it detaches from the wall rather than sliding all the way down against it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HiPPiE said:
A uniform ladder of length L leans against a smooth (no friction) wall. The floor is also smooth (no friction) and the ladder makes an angle of Theta-0 with the floor when the ladder is installed at rest.

a) Before the ladder leaves the wall, express the equations of motion of the ladder in terms of a single generalized coordinate.

b) Find a constant of the motion.

c) Find the angel theta at which the ladder leaves the wall.

EDIT:
By the way, the idea is that the ladder accumulates some momentum in the horizontal, the way its motion is, and because of that it detaches from the wall rather than sliding all the way down against it.

Nobody is going to solve your problems for you, try telling us what you are stuck with.

Regards,

Nenad

You guys are bitter. It's not my homework or anything, I just thought it was a good problem because it was hard and I don't know how to do it. It was on a test my dad was proctoring.

HiPPiE said:
You guys are bitter. It's not my homework or anything, I just thought it was a good problem because it was hard and I don't know how to do it. It was on a test my dad was proctoring.

We are not here to solve arbitrary problems, if you want to know how to approach th problem, draw the free body diagram, label all of your axis, create your force equations and work form there. Try doing this first, if you get stuck, come and ask.

Regards,

Nenad

OK... this is what I have so far:

Free body diagram: What are the relationships between the normal forces and the gravity?

Motion of center of mass: this works... but we now need to find the acceleration along this path and such... hmmm

Attachments

• free-body.JPG
    free-body.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 546
  • position.JPG
    position.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 465
Well, this is a classic problem.
As I recall, the sly way to do this is to use energy.

Your pictures don't make sense. How can the center of mass move in the fashion demonstrated?

I sort of derived why the equation of motion is x^2 + y^2 = 1/4 L^2.
That's the equation of a circle, if you didn't know. Again though, this is only if the ladder stays against the wall, which, in theory, it wouldn't.

As for understanding the motion, though, you can see it pretty easily:
Take a piece of paper, draw the wall and floor. Then draw many of the same-length ladder in different positions against the wall. Completely upright, completely laying down, and many positions in between. Then draw a dot at the middle of each ladder and connect the dots :)

First off, your center of mass particle draws out a complete quarter circle, which isn't possible considering its motion is not along the entire ladder (from wlal to floor). Second, you have drawn the CM moving to the right and then concave downward, but the force pulling the ladder is directed downwards. It should be starting down and then concave right as the ladder bottom is pulled out.

1. What is the purpose of finding the angle theta at which the ladder leaves the wall?

The angle theta represents the angle at which the ladder is leaning against the wall. It is important to find this angle in order to ensure that the ladder is stable and safe to use.

2. How do you calculate the angle theta?

The angle theta can be calculated using the trigonometric function tangent (tan). The formula is tan(theta) = opposite/adjacent, where the opposite side is the height of the ladder and the adjacent side is the distance of the ladder from the base of the wall.

3. Why is it important to make sure the ladder is at the correct angle?

If the ladder is not at the correct angle, it can become unstable and may slip or fall. This can result in serious injuries to the person using the ladder. Therefore, it is crucial to find the correct angle theta to ensure safety.

4. Can the angle theta change?

Yes, the angle theta can change depending on the height and distance of the ladder from the wall. It is important to recalculate the angle if the position of the ladder is adjusted.

5. Is there a specific angle theta that is considered the safest?

There is no specific angle that is considered the safest for all situations. The angle theta will vary depending on the height and distance of the ladder, as well as the weight and strength of the person using it. It is important to always follow safety guidelines and make sure the ladder is stable at any angle.