Find the area between two curves.

In summary, the best way to determine if one function is greater than or equal to the other in a given interval is to evaluate the functions at the endpoints of the interval and also check for any points where they are equal. Another option is to solve the inequality between the two functions. Graphing the functions may also provide a visual representation of the relationship between the two.
Miike012
given two function f and g in the closed interval a to b, the area would be

∫(f(x) - g(x))dx from a to b if f(x)≥g(x) for all x in [a,b].

My question is.. if I were given two function f and g in a given interval [a,b], what is the best way to dertermine if f(x)≥g(x) or vise versa? Would it be best to graph the two functions then visually evaluate it?
Im looking for better methods... any suggestions??

Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
given two function f and g in the closed interval a to b, the area would be

∫(f(x) - g(x))dx from a to b if f(x)≥g(x) for all x in [a,b].

My question is.. if I were given two function f and g in a given interval [a,b], what is the best way to determine if f(x)≥g(x) or vise versa? Would it be best to graph the two functions then visually evaluate it?
I'm looking for better methods... any suggestions??

A lot depends upon the functions.

If they're continuous, you could evaluate f & g at the end pints of the interval and also see if f=g anywhere in the interval.

You could solve the inequality f(x) > g(x) .

Graphing is not such a bad idea.

1. How do you find the area between two curves?

To find the area between two curves, you need to first identify the points of intersection between the two curves. Then, you can use the definite integral to find the area between these two points.

2. What is the formula for finding the area between two curves?

The formula for finding the area between two curves is given by: A = ∫(upper curve - lower curve) dx, where dx represents the width of each rectangle used to approximate the area.

3. Can you find the area between two curves if they do not intersect?

No, it is not possible to find the area between two curves if they do not intersect. The area between two curves is defined as the region bounded by the curves, and if they do not intersect, there is no bounded region.

4. Are there any special cases when finding the area between two curves?

Yes, there are some special cases when finding the area between two curves. For example, if the two curves intersect at multiple points, the area between them will be split into multiple regions, and you will need to calculate the area of each individual region separately.

5. How can finding the area between two curves be useful in real-life applications?

Finding the area between two curves can be useful in various real-life applications, such as calculating the area under a demand curve in economics or finding the area of a cross-sectional slice in engineering. It can also be used to determine the volume of irregularly shaped objects by slicing them into infinitesimally small sections and adding up the areas of these sections.