1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the charge density inside a solid insulating sphere?

1. Sep 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The electric field at a distance of 0.143m from the surface of a solid insulating sphere with radius 0.381m is 1630N/C .

a) Assuming the sphere's charge is uniformly distributed, what is the charge density inside it?

b) Calculate the electric field inside the sphere at a distance of 0.237m from the center.

2. Relevant equations
    E1/E2 = r1/r2
    E = Cr

3. The attempt at a solution

a) I know that the electric field for part a can be found by using the formula E=Cr, so I can get C = 4278.22 N/(C*m). I know that the charge density is a factor of C, but I do not know the actual formula for it.

b) This should be able to be solved with the ratio E1/E2 = r1/r2, and when I solve for E2 I get a result of 737.2 N/C. This result is not correct, but I am not sure if the problem is in my ratio.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can figure it out though. Hint: what are the units of charge density?

Write out the equation for E1 and E2 separately, then find E1/E2.

4. Sep 17, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

a) 1. figure out what total charge Q is for an E field at the specified location.
    2. Q = volumetric charge density x volume gives you charge density.

b) 1. Use Gaussian surface.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted