Find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block

In summary, to find the coefficient of kinetic friction between a 5kg block and a horizontal surface given a horizontal force of 45N and an acceleration of 4m/s^2, one must use the formula F = uN (where F is the horizontal force, u is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force) and solve for u by dividing the net horizontal force by the normal force. It is also recommended to draw a freebody diagram to avoid errors.
nelone
A horizontal force of 45N is required to accelerate a 5kg block by 4m/s2 on a horizontal surface. I need to find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface by assuming g= 10m/s2. How would I go about doing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I always start by writing what I am given first:
a = 4 m/s^2
m = 5 kg
F = 45 N

There are only two forces acting on the object in the x-direction: 45N force and kinetic friction.

You also know that Fnet = ma = 45 - Fk (kinetic friction)
you know what ma is, so you can solve for Fk.
What is your formula for Fk? Use that to find out what the coefficient of Fk is.

You may skip drawing freebody diagrams for such simple problems, but sometimes a wrong sign can cause errors (propagation) and obviously lead to an incorrect answer. So I suggest that you draw a FBD (even if it be a rough one). That way you can always account for the forces and their directions relative to your chosen frame of reference. You are less likely to make mistakes in complicated problems once you develop a consistent habit to draw them :-)

(Supposing I changed your problem so that the force is not horizontal but inclined with the horizontal at an angle. Now you will have to account for the fact that F has a vertical component that adds to the normal reaction force in countering the weight. It is obviously easier to do so using the diagram.)

Hope that helps

Always have FuN with friction. (F = u N). F will always be your horizontal force (or horizontal component if on a ramp), u is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. This is an easy way to remember the formula and will help you remember not to try to use mass. Remember the coefficient of friction is without a unit, so you must have to divide Newtons/Newtons to find it. In this particular problem, you'll need to find the net horizontal force before you have FuN.

Maverick is right; it is always a good idea to draw a diagram.

Related to Find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a unitless constant that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact when one is moving relative to the other.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction measured?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is typically measured by conducting experiments in which a known force is applied to an object and the resulting motion is observed. The ratio of the applied force to the resulting frictional force is the coefficient of kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by several factors, including the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the applied force, and the temperature of the surfaces.

4. Why is it important to know the coefficient of kinetic friction?

Knowing the coefficient of kinetic friction is important in many practical applications, such as designing machinery, predicting the movement of objects, and understanding the behavior of fluids.

5. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is the constant that describes the resistance between two surfaces in contact when one is in motion, while the coefficient of static friction describes the resistance between two surfaces in contact when there is no motion. The coefficient of kinetic friction is typically lower than the coefficient of static friction.