1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the constant k that will make this piecewise continuous.

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a value for the constant k that will make the function below continuous:

[itex]f(x)=\frac{x-1}{x^2-1}\ \text{if}\ x<=0[/itex]
    [itex]f(x)=\frac{tankx}{2x}~\text{if}~x>0[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried the only solution I can think of, which is to make
    [itex]\frac{x-1}{x^2-1} = \frac{tankx}{2x}[/itex]

And then I plug in 0 to try and get k, but I end up with 1 = 0/0. I know you are supposed to do something to the second equation to remedy this, but I cannot figure out what. I am fairly new to Calculus, so some help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello kaderyo94. Welcome to PF !

Each piece of this piecewise-defined function has one or more discontinuities in its portion of the domain of the overall function. You can't "fix" those discontinuities by a choice of k.

I suspect the problem is: Find a value for the constant k that will make the function continuous at x = 0, which is where the two "pieces" join.

If that's the problem to be solved, then:

What must be true for the following limit to exist?
    [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\,0}\,f(x)[/itex]​
    Then, how must that limit be related to f(0) ?

4. Oct 2, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You titled this "Find the constant k that will make this piecewise continuous" but then said "Find a value for the constant k that will make this function continous". Those are very different!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?