Find the coordinate where net electric field is 0

In summary, the net electric field produced by two fixed particles of opposite charges can only be zero at certain coordinates on the x axis, where the magnitude of the electric force due to each charge is equal. This means that the coordinate must be twice as far from one charge as it is from the other. Other solutions may exist, but they are not valid in this scenario.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Two particles are fixed to an x axis, particle 1 of charge q1 = 2.1x10^-7 C at x = 20cm and particle 2 of charge q2 = -4.00q1 at x = 70cm. At what coordinates on the axis is the net electric field produced equal to 0?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I noted that E1 + E2 = 0, so E1 = -E2.

Then, factoring out k = 8.99x10^9, I am left with:

[itex]\frac{q_{1}}{r^{2}_{1}} = -\frac{q_{2}}{r^{2}_{2}} [/itex]
[itex]\frac{q_{1}}{r^{2}_{1}} = \frac{4q_{1}}{r^{2}_{2}} [/itex]
[itex]\frac{r_{2}}{r_{1}} = 2 [/itex]

I interpreted this to mean that the charge must be twice as far from q2 as it is from q1.

So then,

x - 70 = 2(x-20)
x = -30cm

Which is what the book says, but in my method there are other solutions too, like

x - 70 = 2(20-x)
x = 36.6666

Are these other solutions valid? Can the coordinate be ANY such that it is twice as far from q2 as it is from q1?

I may have solved this in a weird way, its because I'm doing it on my own and didn't take the class yet.

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

Two particles are fixed to an x axis, particle 1 of charge q1 = 2.1x10^-7 C at x = 20cm and particle 2 of charge q2 = -4.00q1 at x = 70cm. At what coordinates on the axis is the net electric field produced equal to 0?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I noted that E1 + E2 = 0, so E1 = -E2.

Then, factoring out k = 8.99x10^9, I am left with:

[itex]\frac{q_{1}}{r^{2}_{1}} = -\frac{q_{2}}{r^{2}_{2}} [/itex]
[itex]\frac{q_{1}}{r^{2}_{1}} = \frac{4q_{1}}{r^{2}_{2}} [/itex]
[itex]\frac{r_{2}}{r_{1}} = 2 [/itex]

I interpreted this to mean that the charge must be twice as far from q2 as it is from q1.

So then,

x - 70 = 2(x-20)
x = -30cm

Which is what the book says, but in my method there are other solutions too, like

x - 70 = 2(20-x)
x = 36.6666

Are these other solutions valid? Can the coordinate be ANY such that it is twice as far from q2 as it is from q1?

I may have solved this in a weird way, its because I'm doing it on my own and didn't take the class yet.

Thanks again!
Technically, you're just finding the locations at which the magnitude of the electric force due to each of the charges is equal.

If the charges have the same sign, then the fields cancel somewhere between the charges.

If the charges have opposite sign, then the fields cancel somewhere on either side of the charges.

1. How do you find the coordinate where the net electric field is 0?

To find the coordinate where the net electric field is 0, you will need to use the principle of superposition. This involves calculating the electric field at different points and then adding them together to find the net electric field. Once you have the net electric field, you can set it equal to 0 and solve for the coordinate where this occurs.

2. What is the principle of superposition in regards to finding the net electric field?

The principle of superposition states that the total electric field at a point is equal to the vector sum of the individual electric fields from multiple sources. In other words, you can calculate the electric field at different points from different sources and then add them together to find the net electric field at a specific point.

3. Can the coordinate where the net electric field is 0 be negative?

Yes, the coordinate where the net electric field is 0 can be negative. This is because electric fields can have both positive and negative values, and when adding them together, they can cancel each other out. Therefore, the coordinate where the net electric field is 0 can be either positive or negative, depending on the specific values of the electric fields involved.

4. How can you determine the direction of the net electric field at the coordinate where it is 0?

The direction of the net electric field at the coordinate where it is 0 can be determined by looking at the direction of the individual electric fields involved. If the electric fields are pointing in the same direction, the net electric field will also point in that direction. However, if the electric fields are pointing in opposite directions, they will cancel each other out and the net electric field will be 0.

5. Can the coordinate where the net electric field is 0 change?

Yes, the coordinate where the net electric field is 0 can change depending on the positions and magnitudes of the electric fields involved. If the positions or magnitudes of the electric fields change, the net electric field will also change, and therefore, the coordinate where it is 0 can also change.