1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the difference in pressure between each atmosphere

1. May 11, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are two similar atmosphere ISA +30C and ISA tropical Maximum, they have identical:
    Mean Sea level conditions, same basic shape of temperature profile and same lapse rate in troposphere. The difference is the altitude of the tropopause and hence a different temperature in the stratosphere if that temperature in the tropical maximum is -30C find the difference in pressure between the two conditions at an altitude of 16,000 m.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So the tropopause is at an alitutde of 11km for ISA + 30C and 11.54km for tropical maximum after which the atmosphere is isothermal. So i can do the question now with resource of an ISA chart available where i can find the appropriate density for the altitude however we dont get an ISA chart in the exam and since the density lapse rate isnt a uniform one how would i know the value of the density to use or is there another method to find the pressure?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2017 #2
    If you know the temperature profile, then you have everything you need to integrate the barotropic equation

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted