Find the distance from the source of power

In summary, a point source power outputting 100 W produces a decibel reading of 118 dB. By correctly converting dB to intensity and using the equation I = P/(4*pi*r^2), the distance to the observer is calculated to be approximately 3.55 meters. The mistake in the initial calculation was due to rearranging the equation incorrectly.
demonslayer42

Homework Statement

A point source power outputs a power of 100 W. If a decibel reading of 118 dB is heard, what is the distance to the observer.

Homework Equations

I = P/(4*pi*r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

This should be simple, but for some reason my numbers aren't matching up.

First I converted 118 dB to an intensity of .6309 w/m^2 Then I plug it back into the equation and solve for r which comes out to be 4.471 meters.

So then to check it I put the 4.471 m back into the equation to see if it equals my intensity which it doesn't. I'm not sure where I went wrong on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you using to convert dB to intensity? Are you using the log function correctly?

Yes, I think so. 118 = 10 log (I/Io) Io = 10^(-12) so,
118 = 10 log (I/10^(-12))
11.8 = log (I/10^(-12))
10^(11.8) = (I/10^(-12)
I = 0.6309 w/m^2
Is that correct?

demonslayer42 said:
Yes, I think so. 118 = 10 log (I/Io) Io = 10^(-12) so,
118 = 10 log (I/10^(-12))
11.8 = log (I/10^(-12))
10^(11.8) = (I/10^(-12)
I = 0.6309 w/m^2
Is that correct?

Sorry, that seems fine. Read it wrong the first time.

Right, gone through it properly I get r = 3.55m.

Your values are correct, check how you re-arrange your equation.

I = P / (4*pi*r2)

(4*pi*r2) = P / I

r2 = ((P / I) / 4*pi)

r = sqrt( (P/I) / 4*pi )

omg, I feel so dumb lol yeah that's where I messed up. Instead of (P/I)/(4*pi) I did (P/I*4*pi). Thank you for your help :)

1. What is the definition of distance from the source of power?

The distance from the source of power is the physical distance between the source of power and the location where the power is being used. It is usually measured in units such as meters or kilometers.

2. How is the distance from the source of power calculated?

The distance from the source of power can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (the longest side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In this case, the hypotenuse represents the distance from the source of power, and the other two sides represent the horizontal and vertical distances.

3. Why is it important to know the distance from the source of power?

Knowing the distance from the source of power is important for a variety of reasons. It can help determine the efficiency of power transmission, identify potential safety hazards, and aid in the planning and design of power systems.

4. What factors affect the distance from the source of power?

The distance from the source of power can be affected by various factors such as the type of power source, the type of transmission method (e.g. overhead lines or underground cables), the voltage of the power, and the terrain and obstacles between the source and the location where the power is being used.

5. How can the distance from the source of power be reduced?

The distance from the source of power can be reduced by using more efficient power transmission methods, increasing the voltage of the power, and minimizing obstacles between the source and the location where the power is needed. Additionally, locating the power source closer to the point of use can also reduce the distance.