Find the distance from the source of power

  • Thread starter Thread starter demonslayer42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Power Source
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
demonslayer42
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A point source power outputs a power of 100 W. If a decibel reading of 118 dB is heard, what is the distance to the observer.


Homework Equations


I = P/(4*pi*r^2)



The Attempt at a Solution


This should be simple, but for some reason my numbers aren't matching up.

First I converted 118 dB to an intensity of .6309 w/m^2 Then I plug it back into the equation and solve for r which comes out to be 4.471 meters.

So then to check it I put the 4.471 m back into the equation to see if it equals my intensity which it doesn't. I'm not sure where I went wrong on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you using to convert dB to intensity? Are you using the log function correctly?
 
Yes, I think so. 118 = 10 log (I/Io) Io = 10^(-12) so,
118 = 10 log (I/10^(-12))
11.8 = log (I/10^(-12))
10^(11.8) = (I/10^(-12)
I = 0.6309 w/m^2
Is that correct?
 
demonslayer42 said:
Yes, I think so. 118 = 10 log (I/Io) Io = 10^(-12) so,
118 = 10 log (I/10^(-12))
11.8 = log (I/10^(-12))
10^(11.8) = (I/10^(-12)
I = 0.6309 w/m^2
Is that correct?

Sorry, that seems fine. Read it wrong the first time.
 
Right, gone through it properly I get r = 3.55m.

Your values are correct, check how you re-arrange your equation.

I = P / (4*pi*r2)

(4*pi*r2) = P / I

r2 = ((P / I) / 4*pi)

r = sqrt( (P/I) / 4*pi )
 
omg, I feel so dumb lol yeah that's where I messed up. Instead of (P/I)/(4*pi) I did (P/I*4*pi). Thank you for your help :)