1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the Electric power of the Current source

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    in the picture you can see the electrical network.
    in blue is the Current of each side of the electrical network. (did it with loop equations)
    i asked to find the Electric power of E and the Electric power of the Current source.

so for E i found it and i got pe=11.4w.

i also know what is the Current in each resistor.

i have no problem to find the electric power of voltage source, but for current source i need some help.

thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's good. What is the current in R4? And therefore, what is the voltage across R4?

4. Nov 29, 2011 #3
    the current in R4 is 0.2A and the voltage across R4 is 0.2*8=1.6v

do i correct ?

thanks.

5. Nov 29, 2011 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know if it's correct (unless you want to show all your work so far), but knowing the voltage across R4 should help you with finding the power produced by the current source.

6. Nov 29, 2011 #5
    ok so just tell me how is help me to find the current source?

the final answer need to be P( of the current source)=36.9w.

thanks

7. Nov 29, 2011 #6

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You need to find the voltage that appears across the current source. A path can be drawn from one terminal of the current source through RL and R3 and back to the current source. Use KVL around that path.

8. Nov 29, 2011 #7
    the voltage that appears across the current source, i get 18v (if i include R4)

but if i take only RL and R3 i get 16.4v and then multiply it by 2.25A i get that the Plo=36.9w and for real this is the correct answer.

can you explain me why i not need to include R4?

thank you.

9. Nov 29, 2011 #8

gneill

Staff: Mentor

R4 is connected to the same nodes as the current source (they're in parallel). The path that you want should have ends that start at one node (B) and end at the other (A), and not 'close the gap'.

attachment.php?attachmentid=41354&stc=1&d=1322587471.jpg

Attached Files:

• Fig1.jpg
      Fig1.jpg
      File size:
      20.9 KB
      Views:
  10. Nov 29, 2011 #9
    great answer thank you :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook