Find the equations of the trajectories of y"+y^3=0

You cannot simply substitute it in and ask if it's correct. That's not how things work.In summary, the equations of the trajectories for y"+y^3=0 are found by substituting v^2/2+y^4/4=C into the differential equation and solving for y as a function of x. Simply substituting the expression is not enough to determine if it is correct.
Math10

Homework Statement

Find the equations of the trajectories of y"+y^3=0.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

y"+p(y)=0
v(dv/dy)+p(y)=0
integrate
v^2/2+P(y)=C
so I got v^2/2+y^4/4=C. Is v^2/2+y^4/4=C the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math10 said:

Homework Statement

Find the equations of the trajectories of y"+y^3=0.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

y"+p(y)=0
v(dv/dy)+p(y)=0
integrate
v^2/2+P(y)=C
so I got v^2/2+y^4/4=C. Is v^2/2+y^4/4=C the correct answer?

Substitute it into the DE and check to see if it works. You can do it just as easily as we can, and (as I have said before), doing your own checking first is a good habit to develop. You won't be able to ask for help when you write an exam!

Nope. You're looking for an expression where y is expressed as a function of x (or whatever your independent variable is). Right now, what you have is
$$\frac 12 (y')^2 = C - \frac 14 y^4.$$ You need to solve that differential equation now.

1. What is the meaning of the term "trajectories" in this context?

In this context, trajectories refer to the paths or curves followed by the variable y as it satisfies the given equation.

2. How do I find the equations of the trajectories?

To find the equations of the trajectories, you can use a variety of methods such as substitution, integration, or graphical analysis. The specific method will depend on the form of the given equation and your personal preference.

3. Is it possible to have multiple trajectories for a single equation?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple trajectories for a single equation. This can occur when the equation has multiple solutions or when the solutions result in different paths or curves.

4. Can I use a computer program to find the equations of the trajectories?

Yes, you can use a computer program such as Matlab or Mathematica to find the equations of the trajectories. These programs have built-in functions and tools for solving differential equations, which can be used to find the trajectories for a given equation.

5. What is the significance of finding the equations of the trajectories in science?

Finding the equations of the trajectories can provide insight into the behavior of a system and can be used to analyze and predict future outcomes. This can be particularly useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.