Find the Force on a Resting Block at a 15 Degree Angle | Physics Board Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block resting on an angled board and the force acting on the block. The question asks for either a numeric or symbolic answer and requires knowledge of the given quantities. A suggestion is given to use the tangent of 15 degrees, but it is deemed incorrect. The force normal is mentioned, but the weight of the board is not given, making the question somewhat unclear. It is also speculated that the question may be a trick. A link is provided for further explanation on finding the components of force on a ramp. Ultimately, it is determined that the total force on the block is zero since it is not accelerating.
HaZzArD 09
Can't remember how the question is exactly asked but its something like this. A block is resting on a board and the board is at an angle of 15 degrees with the horizontal. What is the force on the block?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the problem want a numeric answer or a symbolic answer? What are the given quantities? Those kinds of things you need to know before you can answer the question properly.

Numeric
I was told to just do the tangent of 15 degrees but idt that's right..

Yeah there looking for force normal I believe but the question doesn't give a weight of the board... so this doesn't make sense.

Pardon me, but could it be one of those trick questions?
The block is "resting" suggests it is not accelerating. Therefore the total force on it is zero.

There is quite an explanation of how to find the components of the force of gravity on a ramp here: http://www.physics247.com/physics-homework-help/slope.php

Related to Find the Force on a Resting Block at a 15 Degree Angle | Physics Board Question

1. What is the purpose of a Physics board question?

A Physics board question is designed to test a student's understanding and knowledge of basic physics concepts. It covers a wide range of topics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and modern physics.

2. What is the format of a Physics board question?

The format of a Physics board question typically consists of multiple-choice, short answer, and problem-solving questions. Some may also include diagrams, graphs, and mathematical equations.

3. How should I prepare for a Physics board question?

To prepare for a Physics board question, it is important to review all the key concepts and formulas covered in your physics course. Practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the format of the exam. It is also helpful to work through past exam papers to get an idea of the types of questions that may be asked.

4. Is it important to understand the concepts behind the equations in a Physics board question?

Yes, it is crucial to have a strong understanding of the concepts behind the equations in a Physics board question. Simply memorizing equations will not be enough to solve problems effectively. It is important to understand how and why the equations are used in different situations.

5. How can I improve my performance on a Physics board question?

To improve your performance on a Physics board question, it is essential to practice regularly and consistently. Work through as many problems as you can and seek help from your teacher or peers if you are struggling with a particular concept. Additionally, make sure to manage your time effectively during the exam and carefully read each question before attempting to solve it.