Find the instant of the collision

• Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary: The masses are relative to that point, so they move around it as they orbit. The equation of motion is a little more complicated, but basically, it says that the masses keep moving towards and away from the center of mass, and their speeds change as a result.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Two particles move about each other in circular orbits under the influence of gravitational forces, with a period τ. Their motion is suddenly stopped at a given instant of time, and they are then released and allowed to fall into each other. Prove that they collide after a time τ/4(2)^0.5
Relevant Equations
t = 2 pi a^1.5 * (m/k)^0.5
f = -Gmm/d^2
First of all, we can apply the third kepler of law, and call a by the major axis i.e, the distance between the particles.
Replacing μ = m1m2/(m1+m2)
1589600043353.png

Now, the particle is distanced by a and is stopped, and, in a reference

r1 and r2 are the position of the particles, and r = r1-r2 their distance relative.

1589600242634.png

1589600308057.png

so
1589600539474.png

Period in this last equation and taking out the vectorial expression:
1589600692479.png

And, since r is relative distance, if i put r = 0, i would find the instant of the collision
BUT
I don't know how to deal with this strange differential equation x'' = C/x^2

Attachments

• 1589600272136.png
    1589600272136.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 1589600300859.png
    1589600300859.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 1589600459322.png
    1589600459322.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 69
Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
how to deal with this strange differential equation x'' = C/x^2
Can you think of something that you could multiply both sides by to make them both integrable?

Likes LCSphysicist
haruspex said:
Can you think of something that you could multiply both sides by to make them both integrable?
I thought of change of variables in the first term, we would have

dv dx = C/x²
dx dt

dv v = C/x²
dx

Solving>>
1589602551222.png

How to proceed?

I don't know if it can be done in elementary terms

Likes etotheipi
I thought about attaching the problem by energy method, but since i am dealing with time, i choose approach by force.
Is my physics right until now? Maybe i forgot something

LCSphysicist said:

dv dx = C/x²
dx dt

dv v = C/x²
dx

Solving>>
View attachment 262862

How to proceed?

You can easily turn that into solving an integral, and don't forget C is negative, which is rather important.
For the integral, a change of variable can get the denominator into the form √(1-x2). This will give an affine numerator, but you can deal with the x and constant terms as separate integrals.

Likes LCSphysicist and etotheipi
There is an easier approach using Kepler's third law.. Consider the situation as a single planet with reduced mass ##\mu## orbiting around the central mass m1+m2 along a circular orbit, with period T. If the planet losses speed, its orbit becomes elliptical with the central mass in the focus and the square of the time period changes as the cube of the semi-major axis. What is the orbit and its major axis if the planet moves along a straight line to the centre?

• Love
Likes TSny, LCSphysicist, PeroK and 2 others
ehild said:
There is an easier approach using Kepler's third law.. Consider the situation as a single planet with reduced mass ##\mu## orbiting around the central mass m1+m2 along a circular orbit, with period T. If the planet losses speed, its orbit becomes elliptical with the central mass in the focus and the square of the time period changes as the cube of the semi-major axis. What is the orbit and its major axis if the planet moves along a straight line to the centre?
Oh well, now i see, it's a very physical approach, cool. thx

haruspex said:
You can easily turn that into solving an integral, and don't forget C is negative, which is rather important.
For the integral, a change of variable can get the denominator into the form √(1-x2). This will give an affine numerator, but you can deal with the x and constant terms as separate integrals.

Thanks haruspex too by the help :)

LCSphysicist said:

dv dx = C/x²
dx dt

dv v = C/x²
dx

Solving>>
View attachment 262862

How to proceed?

I think it is better to use positive constants and factor out all constants from the square root. Then you have $$\sqrt{\frac{r_0}{x}-1}$$ in the integral , which you can substitute by u.
Later, there can be an other, trigonometric substitution. But you can do it!

YEs, now i made by the way that i started. Actually i got to t = -τ/4(2)^0.5 maybe I've confused something, i will be looking.
Thank you all

LCSphysicist said:
YEs, now i made by the way that i started. Actually i got to t = -τ/4(2)^0.5 maybe I've confused something, i will be looking.
Thank you all
How did you do it? Show your work, please.

Last edited:
ehild said:
How did you so it? Show your work, please.
1589722078646.png

Here is my solution and me seeing this minus sign after all the work done.

ehild said:
How did you do it? Show your work, please.
Could you justify your solution? I see that i understand how to resolve by your [nice] method, but how justify these, like, why we can do it? It's a little intuitive to me think about the center of mass, but I can't prove it. Not in the case which the masses are comparable.

LCSphysicist said:
Could you justify your solution? I see that i understand how to resolve by your [nice] method, but how justify these, like, why we can do it? It's a little intuitive to me think about the center of mass, but I can't prove it. Not in the case which the masses are comparable.
The idea is this. Consider the two body system with an initial separation of ##r##. Consider a small angular momentum component, so that the masses do not collide, but follow a highly elliptical orbit. The initial separation ##r## becomes (approx) twice the semi-major axis of the ellipical orbit. And the time to collide becomes approximately half of the period of the highly ellipical orbit.

Then use Kepler's law to get the period of the highly elliptical orbit.

Likes etotheipi
LCSphysicist said:
The motion of two interacting bodies can be reduced to a single-body problem, of a body with the reduced mass orbiting around the central mass m1+m2, and this central mass is in rest in the centre-of mass system. The other things are Kepler's laws,and they can be also justified by solving Newton's equation .
Originally, the orbit is circular. If the planet losses speed at point P, the energy an angular momentum decreases. the blue orbit results. Finally, the planet losses all its speed and angular momentum. The orbit becomes the red one, a straight line segment. The focus is where the central mass is, it stays the same for all orbits.
1589721677057.png

The energy of the planet depends only on the major axis. If the planet loses energy, the length of the major axis diminishes. You can see all derivation concerning Planetary Motion in textbooks, or you can do it yourself.

LCSphysicist said:
View attachment 262938
LCSphysicist said:
View attachment 262938
Sorry, I cannot read and do not understand the integral of $$\frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{r_0}{r}-1}}$$
By the way, your minus sign may come from the the first step when you find v(r) and take it positive, although it is negative with respect to vector r.

Last edited:
LCSphysicist said:
View attachment 262938
The integral ##\int\frac{dr}{\sqrt{\frac{r_0}r-1}}## is not ##\sqrt{\frac{r_0}r-1}##.
I explained how to deal with it in post #5.

Actually i forgot to write the symbol of integral so became confused, and i lost the paper :| So, now i took the value in a calculator, what is the same that i find, except that i found.
:"-ro" and not "-*√ro√ro"

beingx = r,
k = ro
1589768151387.png

Attachments

• 1589767930692.png
    1589767930692.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 58

What is "Find the instant of the collision"?

"Find the instant of the collision" refers to the process of determining the exact moment when two objects or particles collide with each other.

Why is it important to find the instant of the collision?

Finding the instant of the collision is important for understanding the dynamics of the collision and the forces involved. It can also provide valuable information for predicting future collisions and preventing accidents.

What factors affect the accuracy of determining the instant of the collision?

The accuracy of determining the instant of the collision can be affected by factors such as the speed and direction of the objects, the type of collision (elastic or inelastic), and any external forces acting on the objects.

What methods are commonly used to find the instant of the collision?

Some common methods used to find the instant of the collision include analyzing video footage, using mathematical equations and calculations, and conducting experiments with controlled collisions.

Can the instant of the collision be determined for all types of collisions?

No, the instant of the collision cannot be determined for all types of collisions. In some cases, the collision may happen too quickly or the objects involved may be too small to accurately determine the exact moment of impact.